How do we fix the scrum?

Re: How do we fix the scrum?

steckers 10 Nov 2019 15:45 pm said..

I too was moaning in the game about them pushing early. On one occasion Glso were going backward whilst the ball was in the 9's hands. But I agree there is a problem. I'd suggest some more weight in the 2nd row would help.
steckers
Hall of Famer

ryno_chelt 10 Nov 2019 17:15 pm said..

Wonder if Ackermann knows this school boy. Get him over.

https://m.sport24.co.za/Rugby/Springbok ... z-20191108

Anyone who makes etzebeth look small is very very large.
ryno_chelt
On the board

chrisj 10 Nov 2019 17:25 pm said..

I do think part of the problem is in the 2nd row. We have 2 superb locks in Mostart and Grobelaar (who incidentally I thought played well yesterday, particularly in the line out where we went completely to pieces when he came off) who are similar in approach, and we have lost 2 in Slater and Sav who I honestly think dig in more in both the scrum and maul, but Freddie is not in my opinion a 2nd row.
Having said that, they did push early yesterday and I couldn't understand some of the penalties as Hoeneck didn't to me seem to be "walking round" which is where a lot of the loose head penalties come from. Also I was surprised to see us penalised when on a couple of occassions their scrum seemed to go to pieces
chrisj
Turns out for the A team

Creamoftheprop 10 Nov 2019 18:00 pm said..

Watched the front row warm up in front of us at Welford Road and a few Glos fans around me and myself included thought both Hohneck and Balmain looked a lot trimmer. Clearly, you need a fit pack but i wonder with Sav gone, Slater missing and Mostert out, if we're missing old school mass. Need a troll or ogre or two.
Creamoftheprop
Senior squad member

ryno_chelt 10 Nov 2019 18:44 pm said..

Creamoftheprop wrote:Watched the front row warm up in front of us at Welford Road and a few Glos fans around me and myself included thought both Hohneck and Balmain looked a lot trimmer. Clearly, you need a fit pack but i wonder with Sav gone, Slater missing and Mostert out, if we're missing old school mass. Need a troll or ogre or two.

Exactly my thoughts, I think Val also looks to have shed a few kgs.

Mostert is absolute clash, but he is a small second row, his mass isn’t going to solve things. Sav didn’t have the same skills, but he had a LOT of grunt and physicality, ideal for scrums and these wet games.

Not easy to quickly solve!
ryno_chelt
On the board

TP17 10 Nov 2019 18:54 pm said..

Sarries were pushing early at every scrum.

I personally thought our scrum improved when VRR and JFR came on, they look a very powerful duo in the scrum and when carrying the ball.

Also bare in mind that Clarke played second row, which I’m still not convinced about. I think I would have liked to see Ruan there instead.
TP17
Hall of Famer

ElverEater 10 Nov 2019 18:57 pm said..

Does Dom Barrow have a current club?
Last edited by ElverEater on 10 Nov 2019 19:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ElverEater
Vice-Captain

Number10 10 Nov 2019 19:18 pm said..

Dom Barrow, no he doesn't
Number10
Hall of Famer

bun 10 Nov 2019 19:21 pm said..

If saturdays game against sarries and previous game against tigers is anything to go by the scrum is not the only thing that needs sorting our kicking game was terrible in fact there was very little that seemed to go well a few players held there hands up tom marshall ben morgan but for the most it looked like 15 blokes who had just met in the car park like most glaws fans i was expecting this season to be a cracker and iam sure it still can be i just hope Mr a can sort it quickly
l
bun
On a trial

Sheddy Mcshedface 10 Nov 2019 20:15 pm said..

chrisj wrote:I do think part of the problem is in the 2nd row. We have 2 superb locks in Mostart and Grobelaar (who incidentally I thought played well yesterday, particularly in the line out where we went completely to pieces when he came off) who are similar in approach, and we have lost 2 in Slater and Sav who I honestly think dig in more in both the scrum and maul, but Freddie is not in my opinion a 2nd row.
Having said that, they did push early yesterday and I couldn't understand some of the penalties as Hoeneck didn't to me seem to be "walking round" which is where a lot of the loose head penalties come from. Also I was surprised to see us penalised when on a couple of occassions their scrum seemed to go to pieces

Bruce?
Sheddy Mcshedface
Hall of Famer
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby