How do we fix the scrum?

How do we fix the scrum?

ryno_chelt 10 Nov 2019 08:42 am said..

I was a fly half, I’ve no idea about the dark arts of a scrum. What I do know, it’s ours has looked horrendous, and with largely the same pack as last year.

Can someone help me with answers to the below:

- to oversimplify, how much is down to front row: second row and back row. I’d guess (50% 40% 10%)
- when it’s wet, does that make scrummaging more about weight?
- how do we fix it? Could a pretty lightweight Mostert help?
- how was the Balmain, Hohneck and Marias combo (along with Slater and Grobler (for second game) suddenly stopped being effective. I can’t see Grobler being the sole issue.
ryno_chelt
On the board

Re: How do we fix the scrum?

theoptimist 10 Nov 2019 08:46 am said..

Interestingly, Ackerman mentioned that he disagreed with the ref’s interpretation of a few of the scrums. I personally felt that on a couple of occasions early in the game Saracens pushed early so not sure if that’s what he meant. CMK certainly felt that Glos were the guilty party...

However, we seemed completely underpowered at scrum time. Not sure if it’s second row related?

I’m sure that Ackers will be beasting the basics this week.
Last edited by theoptimist on 10 Nov 2019 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theoptimist
Hero in the making

Lurker 10 Nov 2019 09:53 am said..

Sarries pushes early in every scrum but we’re never sanctioned. I also can’t believe we were penalised when we had them going backwards a couple of times - CMK and his officials missed a lot yesterday (not why we lost)
Lurker
Hall of Famer

Big Red 10 Nov 2019 10:09 am said..

For me I’d like to see VRR be given a run as starting loosehead. In my opinion he’s a better scrummager than Hohneck.

Yes they were played into the ground, but let’s not forget there were times when the scrum suffered last season.
Big Red
Hall of Famer

RTS2 10 Nov 2019 10:13 am said..

Big Red wrote:For me I’d like to see VRR be given a run as starting loosehead. In my opinion he’s a better scrummager than Hohneck.

Yes they were played into the ground, but let’s not forget there were times when the scrum suffered last season.

+1 and even give JH a half at TH. You might be surprised .

Whatever …..we do need a nasty TH. ;)
RTS2
Hall of Famer

RTS2 10 Nov 2019 10:15 am said..

ryno_chelt wrote:I was a fly half, I’ve no idea about the dark arts of a scrum. What I do know, it’s ours has looked horrendous, and with largely the same pack as last year.

Can someone help me with answers to the below:

- to oversimplify, how much is down to front row: second row and back row. I’d guess (50% 40% 10%)
- when it’s wet, does that make scrummaging more about weight?
- how do we fix it? Could a pretty lightweight Mostert help?
- how was the Balmain, Hohneck and Marias combo (along with Slater and Grobler (for second game) suddenly stopped being effective. I can’t see Grobler being the sole issue.

Grobler is NOT the issue at set piece
RTS2
Hall of Famer

madders 10 Nov 2019 10:17 am said..

Ackermann snr is the perfect coach to sort out our pack. Perhaps having Mostert back and two proper locks will do the trick.
We’ll know on Friday, hopefully our first HC match won’t see a lacklustre performance like yesterday, if we lose to Toulouse our chances in Europe will be dealt a huge blow.
I started off with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left.
madders
Hall of Famer

Asgard 10 Nov 2019 10:25 am said..

Hoeneck was pinged twice for stepping out but as has been said Sarries pushed early quite a few times. The scrum however looked fairly sound on our own ball which leads me to believe that Sarries were targeting penalties on their put in. They were perhaps going for a wheel on Hoeneck rather than attacking Balmain. If your loosehead over compensates by shoving his backside out a bit the second row does not have a straight back to push against.
I thought we struggled against Wasps and Leicester so it's not just a Sarries phenomenon.
Asgard
Hall of Famer

Sky blue 10 Nov 2019 11:07 am said..

Hoeneck's starting position was strange. He was angling in as soon as they engaged. I thought we looked better with VRR on. Presumably GG was knackered or injured - finishing with 3x6s on the infield wasn't helpful.

We had our first choice scrummaging front 3 out against their B team. We can't expect to get far in the league as things are.
Sky blue
Hall of Famer

MrGlawsRocker 10 Nov 2019 11:21 am said..

Ex loose head I'm not wearing my cherry & white glasses here but we were wrongly pinged a few times in the scrum, no offense to Brayley it was why we needed some experience at 9 in the ear of the referee.

No word of a lie as bad as some of the refereeing was they f@*$ed us in this area it prevented any platform from the scrum.
In Ackermann we Trust.
MrGlawsRocker
On the board
Next

Return to Gloucester Rugby