Laws of the game question

Re: Laws of the game question

Davers 15 Nov 2019 13:29 pm said..

That's a great spot theoptimist, Earl was offside and he interfered with play.....clear cut penalty offence. At the very least it's accidental offside.

As to why it wasn't given, only Mr Maxwell-Keys can answer that; he certainly can't claim he was unsighted as he was in line with Earl and perfectly positioned to judge him offside.

As you say, play would have gone back to for a penalty to Saracens so probably not significant....but sadly we'll never know.
Davers
Senior squad member

Gloucester Mute 15 Nov 2019 14:14 pm said..

Davers wrote:That's a great spot theoptimist, Earl was offside and he interfered with play.....clear cut penalty offence. At the very least it's accidental offside.

As to why it wasn't given, only Mr Maxwell-Keys can answer that; he certainly can't claim he was unsighted as he was in line with Earl and perfectly positioned to judge him offside.

As you say, play would have gone back to for a penalty to Saracens so probably not significant....but sadly we'll never know.

Haven't seen clip but did Earl actually interfere with play/the tackler. IF he just ran into his own man and it had no effect at all then "play on"...….
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Posts: 1699  Location: Dursley - At the heart of the County
Gloucester Mute
Hall of Famer

stuartjames 15 Nov 2019 14:32 pm said..

https://www.premiershiprugby.com/watch/r4-highlights-gloucester-v-saracens

- about 30 seconds in the highlights

he latches onto Kriel who's trying to tackle the No10 ?
stuartjames
Hall of Famer

Lurker 15 Nov 2019 14:46 pm said..

think it is irrelevant as ref had already awarded a few penalties by that stage so they were playing advantage. it does look like he was offside though
Lurker
Hall of Famer

Castle Grim Reaper 15 Nov 2019 14:57 pm said..

Lurker wrote:think it is irrelevant as ref had already awarded a few penalties by that stage so they were playing advantage. it does look like he was offside though

Certainly not irrelevant, if he had gone back for the original penalty they might have kicked to touch and then thrown it in crooked and lost possession, CMK should definitely have blown up.
Castle Grim Reaper
Hall of Famer

Lurker 15 Nov 2019 14:59 pm said..

good point
Lurker
Hall of Famer

Westterracefaithful 15 Nov 2019 15:57 pm said..

I have done a fair bit of reffing in my time, and done the relevant RFU courses and top up pretty regularly (most recently last year). Doesn't mean I am any good though, and any decent grass-roots ref tends to acknowledge with captains at the start of a game that he is likely to miss a few things, but will do his best to be consistent, fair...yadda yadda yadda...

Refs miss stuff - it is a given. What really grinds my gears though is the lack of support Prem. refs seem to get from assistants. I always seem to be yelling at linesmen to get involved who have clearly seen something awry :lol: .

One point though - in our great game we have the concept of 'material to the outcome' - others who have done ref training should be able to back me up on that. It is for the ref to interpret whether or not something is material, and on that basis, you will pretty much always get inconsistency and vaguery - it is a part of the game that I can't really see any way to mitigate.
WTF as a moniker may, or may not, have been entirely intentional...
Westterracefaithful
Vice-Captain

Gloucester Mute 15 Nov 2019 17:46 pm said..

Westterracefaithful wrote:
One point though - in our great game we have the concept of 'material to the outcome' - others who have done ref training should be able to back me up on that. It is for the ref to interpret whether or not something is material, and on that basis, you will pretty much always get inconsistency and vaguery - it is a part of the game that I can't really see any way to mitigate.

+1 . IF the Laws were applied rigidly there would be hardly any rugby played.....
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Posts: 1699  Location: Dursley - At the heart of the County
Gloucester Mute
Hall of Famer
Previous

Return to Gloucester Rugby