Laws of the game question

Re: Laws of the game question

Major Jasper 09 Nov 2019 20:23 pm said..

Major Jasper wrote:
Davers wrote:
Major Jasper wrote:Pretty sure he didn't - see law 21.5

Law 21.5 When the ball-carrier grounds the ball in in-goal and simultaneously makes contact with the touch line (or the ground beyond), the ball is in touch in the field of play and a lineout is awarded to the opposition.

Not sure this really applies to the scenario quoted; perhaps it’s time to update your law book

? - World rugby 21.5 refers to scoring a goal from a penalty kick.

And apologies as split between laws 8 and 20..... obviously looking at the same year as the U14 ref originally!! :D
Major Jasper
Turns out for the A team

Davers 09 Nov 2019 20:40 pm said..

I think he got confused between the laws relating to kicking a penalty and kicking for goal.
Davers
Senior squad member

stuartjames 09 Nov 2019 21:09 pm said..

thanks for the answers, anybody got any links, I'm very confused as to what applies and doesn't?
stuartjames
Hall of Famer

Glawsinwuss 09 Nov 2019 21:24 pm said..

On the subject of laws of the game...

Is there any law that states it must be a hooker that throws in at a lineout?

I have often wondered, when a hooker is struggling to find their mark, why not try a different option? It happens with kickers so why not lineout throws?
Glawsinwuss
Senior squad member

Davers 09 Nov 2019 21:33 pm said..

https://laws.worldrugby.org/?law=showal ... anguage=EN

Law 20 Penalty and free-kick

8. The kicker may punt, drop-kick or place-kick (other than for touch) the ball.

Law 8 Scoring

Penalty Goal

23. If the kicker has not indicated an intention to kick at goal but takes a drop-kick and scores a goal, the goal stands.

24. The kicker places the ball directly on the ground or on sand, sawdust, or a kicking tee. The kicker may be assisted by a placer. Nothing else may be used to assist the kicker.

Law 8.24 applies. You can punt a penalty to gain ground but you can’t punt to score a penalty goal as it has to be kicked from the ground (or drop kicked.)
Last edited by Davers on 09 Nov 2019 21:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Davers
Senior squad member

Davers 09 Nov 2019 21:42 pm said..

Glawsinwuss wrote:Is there any law that states it must be a hooker that throws in at a lineout?

No, any player can throw the ball in at a lineout.
Davers
Senior squad member

Asgard 09 Nov 2019 22:19 pm said..

Indeed. It used to be the winger and if you watch the Barbarians v All Blacks, 1973 you will see Grant Batty doing just that.
Asgard
Hall of Famer

King Prawn Bhuna 11 Nov 2019 08:29 am said..

May grandad says.....and up to the late 60's it wasn't the single handed over the shoulder 'american football' style throw. It was a 2 handed throw starting from below the knees usually by the left or right wing on the side it went out...

...but then again it was also a penalty for lifting in the line-out (but only if you were caught obviously ;) )
Here's to the nights I'll never remember with the friends I'll never forget...
King Prawn Bhuna

Castle Grim Reaper 11 Nov 2019 12:14 pm said..

King Prawn Bhuna wrote:...but then again it was also a penalty for lifting in the line-out (but only if you were caught obviously ;) )

Yes, I seem to remember Saracens doing it :D
Castle Grim Reaper
Hall of Famer

Steve M 13 Nov 2019 01:38 am said..

another law question, or two, for the Shedweb panel.

I seem to recall that when a driving maul is in play the ball should be passed to the rear most player so that it is always in view. Is this still the case ? Have just watched highlights of last weekends games (including suffering ours again) and there were a number of instances where this clearly wasnt the case - including Saracens try in the corner where their backs joined the drive behind the ball carrier. Not just this last weekend but whether or not it is still a law it doesnt seem to get reffed anymore.

It also doesnt seem that long ago that a ball was deemed to be out of play as soon as it had crossed the plane of the touchline but this also is not reffed anymore - another change ?
The only problem with doing nothing is not knowing when you have finished.
Steve M
Hall of Famer
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby