Saracens OGT

Re: Saracens OGT

Steve M 10 Nov 2019 00:51 am said..

SIBARITE wrote:
Steve M wrote:Poor.

Scrum looked better with changed props on. Played most of 2nd half without a proper 2nd row but still the scrums, mauls, etc looked better.

Did you even watch the game?

Yes, and as I said, I thought the replacement props did better than those who started.
The only problem with doing nothing is not knowing when you have finished.
Steve M
Hall of Famer

Chalker 10 Nov 2019 01:17 am said..

Steve M wrote:
SIBARITE wrote:
Steve M wrote:Poor.

Scrum looked better with changed props on. Played most of 2nd half without a proper 2nd row but still the scrums, mauls, etc looked better.

Did you even watch the game?

Yes, and as I said, I thought the replacement props did better than those who started.

The scrum looked better for that period of the game agreed.
We have a problem in the scrum, our replacement tight-head ambling from one scrum to the next isn’t enough and is not the answer.
I will try and watch the recording in the morning before commenting further.
Chalker
Hall of Famer

Allen Prior 10 Nov 2019 05:08 am said..

I will say two things:

1) Gloucester played poorly yesterday, made too many basic mistakes and were beaten by a Sarries team that were more fired up than I can ever remember. I sit behind the Gloucester subs so could clearly see the frankly amazing team spirit in the Sarries team close up. The effect of the sanctions has, as I predicted, given their squad the full-on "us against the world" mantra. It is not that I disagree with the punishment (although it is too lenient) but there is NO WAY they will be relegated. They played the conditions better than we did and were more motivated than we were.

2) I made a point of welcoming as many Sarries fans as I could. Why? Because what their owners have done is not their fault and they, like me, support their team for the same altruistic reasons. They were all really great folk and I was embarrassed by some of the chanting from Gloucester fans. To the extent that we had the moral high ground before the game, SOME of our number blew that away. I get it that we don't like what the Sarries establishment has done but I had hoped we were bigger than resorting to booing them when they came onto the pitch and belting out the traditional "same old Sarries, always cheating" although I will admit it created an interesting atmosphere but, as Johan has suggested, it was, in effect McCall's team talk.

I hope a different Glaws side turns up on Friday and we get one of those special Friday under lights games. I am also aware my comments will be pilloried by many on here.
The artist formerly known as Porky
Allen Prior
Hall of Famer

grunter 10 Nov 2019 06:06 am said..

Not by me Porky. I totally agree with what you say.
grunter
On the board

madders 10 Nov 2019 07:27 am said..

The team has lost its spark and our pack can’t compete, apart from that we were woeful and DC appeared as if he couldn’t be bothered.
Toulouse next. :(
I’ve only ever been wrong once; l thought l was wrong, but l was wrong!
madders
Hall of Famer

Biffo 10 Nov 2019 07:34 am said..

madders wrote:The team has lost its spark and our pack can’t compete, apart from that we were woeful and DC appeared as if he couldn’t be bothered.

Agreed that the last 2 games DC has lost his spark and good decision making
Biffo
On the board

Gb83 10 Nov 2019 07:38 am said..

madders wrote:The team has lost its spark and our pack can’t compete, apart from that we were woeful and DC appeared as if he couldn’t be bothered.

DC really didn’t look bothered, a friend said he was worried the world cup snub could cause this and may be it has.

We started with a 9 who is just very slow and I’m surprised we started him to be honest, someone said don’t call people out as we lose together but it’s clear he’s a step down.

We gave away so many penalties, Ludlow was guilty for that but some seemed quite harsh to me.

The pack just can’t play wet weather rugby, we were spoilt last year with how many games were played in the dry. Slater is a big loss, would have been nice to have savage yesterday.

Our skills were absolutely awful yesterday, we coped last year without a skills coach, we look worse not better so far this season, too many chiefs perhaps.
Gb83
Hall of Famer

gmorgan131285 10 Nov 2019 07:58 am said..

Positives - Back 3 when given a bit of room looked electric.
Despite it not being his natural position Freddie Clarke adapted very well at second row.

Negatives.
We finished with no out and out 2nd rows and against Isiekwe & Skelton we couldn’t take any clean line out ball, which negated kicking for touch, tough when you’re chasing the game from between your 22 and half way line.

No variation from Cipriani, was seemingly almost the pass out the back door. Nobody threatening with a flat line.

Kicking from hand was at least 10m too long every time. Giving the chasers no chance to get near it. Wigglesworth put on an absolute masterclass in box kicking then Spencer just took over!

When Sarries conceded their 8th or 9th penalty in their 22 the referee had to approach Ben Morgan to discuss. For me a good captain should be in the refs ear asking “how many more sir”

Disappointing in that we had a huge opportunity to knock over a team that mentally will be galvanised by what is a huge win for them.

Onto next week. Excited for some European Rugby under the lights.
gmorgan131285
Hero in the making

smirnoff 10 Nov 2019 08:02 am said..

grunter wrote:Not by me Porky. I totally agree with what you say.

And me.
smirnoff
Senior squad member

ShedOrDead 10 Nov 2019 08:17 am said..

Porky, I think your first statement excellently sums up the Gloucester performance. This team hasn't found a way to get out of second gear so far this season and as fired up as sarries may have been, I don't think they were particularly special and were actually there for the taking. Gloucester really miss Slater, Heinz and Mostert, but there still is quality in this team... Ackermann and co have their work cut out.

To the second statement, I too tried to be as welcoming and contrite to Sarries fans as well: it is not they who have been found to cheat and one I spoke to seemed also heartbroken that it was his club that has undermined English rugby in such spectacular fashion. As for the club itself though, Glos will always hold the moral high ground against an organisation that has been found in astonishing breach of the Premiership's rules for 3 seasons at least. A few chants and boos here and there are not remotely comparable - as some have suggested. Anderson's flippant "hater's gonna hate" cool-dad comment shows he still doesn't get it: all his success, everything he has achieved is fundamentally compromised and brought into question by the actions of his club's owner.
ShedOrDead
Hall of Famer
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby