Saracens sanction

Re: Saracens sanction

stuartjames 11 Nov 2019 16:17 pm said..

no worries, i've been quite verbose on this thread, and didn't want to be misinterpreted.
stuartjames
Hall of Famer

vitesse 11 Nov 2019 16:34 pm said..

FWIW I think PRL have missed a trick. On top of the sanctions sorries should have been told ALL their premiership games are suspended until and unless they can show that they are complying with the salary cap. That would have concentrated their collective minds.
Posts: 282  Location: Alicante Province, within easy reach of the airport......!
vitesse
Vice-Captain

Glen Sannox 11 Nov 2019 16:56 pm said..

robs1, sorry, have I missed another question that will p' people off? Let me know which one and I'll have a crack at it!
Cherchez la truffe
Glen Sannox
Hall of Famer

robs1 11 Nov 2019 17:09 pm said..

Glen Sannox wrote:robs1, sorry, have I missed another question that will p' people off? Let me know which one and I'll have a crack at it!

Here is your post and my reply
Glen Sannox wrote:
In most other businesses their employees don't retire in their 20's or early 30s. Yes these guys are on big salaries, but they need to do something with the rest of their lives ...there have been too many instances of players suffering mental health issues after their careers are over. What I would like to see is players having a proper route forward for the rest of their lives after rugby, and I think it's just a responsible thing for their employers to help with that (within the rules, which should be changed so that it can happen)

The rules allow it now, as long as it is under the cap, sarries cheated that cap and are using your argument as an excuse, if it was under the cap we wouldn't be disagreeing, there is no reason at all why they couldnt do it under rules as long as it didnt break the cap, all they had to was ask, why didnt they especially as they had been caught breaking the rules before
robs1
Hall of Famer

stuartjames 11 Nov 2019 17:31 pm said..

Glen Sannox, just in case you missed it:

If their rumours of a salary cap breach were so well known amongst the press pack, why did nobody else work it out, say the TRP, rather than a 'young reporter' from the Daily Mail ?
stuartjames
Hall of Famer

larry1 11 Nov 2019 17:56 pm said..

Agree entirely with Lebowski re feeling very flat and wondering "what's the point?".
larry1
Academy prospect

trummy200 11 Nov 2019 18:42 pm said..

'Owen Farrell could earn many thousands in after dinner speeches and punditry alone'
Maybe not - doesn't come across as the most eloquent of speakers
trummy200
On a trial

homer 11 Nov 2019 19:05 pm said..

Exile wrote:Not sure if mentioned before but the regulations continuing refer to breaches in a year - "Where the Disciplinary Panel concludes that a Club has exceeded the Senior Ceiling by
£350,000 or more for a Salary Cap Year".

Therefore if Saracens have breached the cap for 3 years, why is the penalty not 105 points?

Excellent point, but 105 points would make sure they would be relegated for 1 year. They breached the cap for 3 (or more) years, I would like to see, and I believe more fitting, 35 points per year for 3 years. This, I believe, would make clubs think ok, I got away with it this year , but what if they find out next year, that's 2 years and so on. Maybe harsh but a one off penalty maybe could be ridden.
homer
Vice-Captain

stevieb 11 Nov 2019 19:19 pm said..

homer wrote:
Exile wrote:Not sure if mentioned before but the regulations continuing refer to breaches in a year - "Where the Disciplinary Panel concludes that a Club has exceeded the Senior Ceiling by
£350,000 or more for a Salary Cap Year".

Therefore if Saracens have breached the cap for 3 years, why is the penalty not 105 points?

Excellent point, but 105 points would make sure they would be relegated for 1 year. They breached the cap for 3 (or more) years, I would like to see, and I believe more fitting, 35 points per year for 3 years. This, I believe, would make clubs think ok, I got away with it this year , but what if they find out next year, that's 2 years and so on. Maybe harsh but a one off penalty maybe could be ridden.

I agree Homer. (If!) they are given the 35 point deduction then they can still win in Europe this year and will still probably qualify for next year. The punishment will basically be one year 'disqualification' from the Premiership playoffs. Big wow!
stevieb
Hall of Famer

PeterD 11 Nov 2019 19:30 pm said..

The points penalty is the maximum that PRL agreed on. I would guess when it was written no one thought anyone would be daft enough to break itby that much. How wrong were they.

By the way Leb. That was my feelings as well.
I won’t be watching Sarries games on BT anytime this season, unless contrition is forthcoming.
PeterD
Hall of Famer
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby