Glen Sannox 11 Nov 2019 13:43 pm said..

On the subject of alleged 'cheating'...

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/former-i ... n-steroids
Cherchez la truffe
Glen Sannox
Hall of Famer

Re: Saracens sanction

robs1 11 Nov 2019 13:50 pm said..

Glen Sannox wrote:On the subject of alleged 'cheating'...

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/former-i ... n-steroids

What has that got to do with the title of this thread? Not saying it's not an issue but start it's own thread perhaps and perhaps here answer some of the questions you have been asked here instead.
robs1
Hall of Famer

stuartjames 11 Nov 2019 14:57 pm said..

Thanks. Can't say I'm surprised.

I am, Nigel and his media friends said it was jealousy and a simple admin error, and now it might involve secret payments to off-shore accounts; how can that be ? :D
stuartjames
Hall of Famer

stuartjames 11 Nov 2019 15:05 pm said..

After a few seconds reflection my concern is now for the poor players who never realised that part of their salaries were being paid into an off-shore account., to circumvent the salary cap.

That must be a terrible shock for them all, whoever they are
Last edited by stuartjames on 11 Nov 2019 15:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stuartjames
Hall of Famer

theoptimist 11 Nov 2019 15:10 pm said..

I feel really sorry for the young prop who went off on Sat however this tweet sums up the lack of humility at Saracens...(from a fan in this case)

Did this young player have a Nigel Wray backed investment in place to protect his future? I suspect not ... the twit who tweeted this has probably missed the irony and as such, has defended his club’s cheating/creative accounting in the poorest taste possible.

I’d be less angry if Saracens had actually ‘invested’ with young ‘up and coming’ players such as Adams-Hale as opposed to Faz, Wiggie or the Vun brothers! Then they could claim to be supporting and protecting player’s futures... Owen Farrell could earn many thousands in after dinner speeches and punditry alone and I imagine is pretty well set, even if he had to retire tomorrow. If a young player such as Ralph Adams-Hale has a career ending injury then they genuinely have nothing to fall back on.

I wish him a full and speedy recovery and hope to see him on the pitch and bearing the disappointment of a loss at CG next season.
Attachments
AF32B4F1-3112-4FC1-AFCC-28DB17993BD9.jpeg
theoptimist
Hero in the making

Lebowski 11 Nov 2019 15:31 pm said..

Couldn’t be bothered to post until now because I felt so flat after Saturday. It wasn’t really the result as I actually can’t recall feeling less upset by a loss. It just didn’t seem to matter. I watched a club that has been cheating for years, is still cheating and appears to show no contrition. I just found myself thinking what’s the point? I feel I’m falling out of love with the sport.

Reading this thread I find it both astonishing and depressing that some are defending the cheats. I don’t place any store on the opinions of the likes of Stephen Jones who I have found to be a massively ignorant and sensational journalist. Try disagreeing with him on Twitter and see how quickly you are blocked! Brian Moore on the other hand I have huge respect for.

I’ve already bought my season ticket. Had I not done so I genuinely don’t know if I’d continue to attend matches the way I feel at the moment.
Lebowski

Oxford Glaws 11 Nov 2019 15:37 pm said..

Apparently, the Inland Revenue insists that image rights payments to UK domiciled players (presumably includes all Sarries' England players) have to be made in this country and treated as UK earnings. It might not be only the PRL taking an interest.

https://www.lewissilkin.com/-/media/fil ... r-2015.pdf
1Thes.5 [14] Now we exhort you, brethren, warn them that are unruly, comfort the feeble-minded, support the weak, be patient toward all men.
Oxford Glaws
Hall of Famer

stuartjames 11 Nov 2019 16:09 pm said..

Leb, hope you realise a lot of my comments are tongue-in-cheek, and I am in no way condoning any cheating by the Saracens as a club, or by its payers., sorry players. Politeness stops me expressing my real feelings about poor Nigel and his wayward family of international superstars.

As a long distance fan who at times has struggled to follow GRFC (sorry too old to change now) , I feel the latest turning point for me was the recent RWC. The rugby played at the elite level now has very little to relate it to the game I played, or that my son is now playing at U14s. Even the first team level at amateur clubs bears only a passing resemblance to the sport on the TV.

Best to see it as I do, 2 very different games. To be viewed through a different lens ..... junior rugby has really helped to recharge my batteries and re-engage with all levels of the sport.
stuartjames
Hall of Famer

Lebowski 11 Nov 2019 16:13 pm said..

Stuart I do realise that and haven’t interpreted any of your posts as supporting what’s happened. :)
Lebowski
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby