Saracens sanction

Re: Saracens sanction

stuartjames 05 Nov 2019 11:27 am said..

The Guardian have just updated to confirm that they have exceeded the cap in the last 3 seasons, ignore my other post.
stuartjames
Hall of Famer

hairyglaws 05 Nov 2019 11:27 am said..

Bout time and I hope no-one flinches ere.
They are bound to appeal, so wonder if the governing body has the nerve to enforce immediately, they have after all made a decision.

As for no relegation, that would be a serious cop out and can't see how it wouldn't just be a cynical ploy to mitigate the cheating...
hairyglaws
On the board

LowerO 05 Nov 2019 11:28 am said..

stuartjames wrote:And the reports don't say they breached the cap, only that they breached the regulations by not declaring all player payments, perhaps that's just the media being careful ?

No, the panel also said “in addition, the club is found to have exceeded the ceiling for payments to senior players in each of the 3 seasons”

Pretty conclusive... hidden overpayments!
my real name is Nigel Williams, in my 50s, behind the posts in the Stowford
LowerO
Hero in the making

Steve M 05 Nov 2019 11:29 am said..

the league table on Gloucester's website has already been updated to show Sarries bottom (so to speak) :lol:
The only problem with doing nothing is not knowing when you have finished.
Steve M
Hall of Famer

stuartjames 05 Nov 2019 11:31 am said..

Lower O, yes sorry, but previously the reports were being a little more cautious.
stuartjames
Hall of Famer

ShedOrDead 05 Nov 2019 11:32 am said..

stuartjames wrote:Is Mr Wray a frequent visitor to CG, wonder if he'll be there on Saturday ?

Via a series of minority holdings in offshore shell companies and joint ventures with major construction sub-contractors declared for tax purposes on the Isle of Man, he technically owns the 1873 lounge.

In seriousness, I expect his profile to be lower than usual on advice of his lawyers for the foreseeable future.
ShedOrDead
Hall of Famer

Glawsinwuss 05 Nov 2019 11:34 am said..

Steve M wrote:the league table on Gloucester's website has already been updated to show Sarries bottom (so to speak) :lol:

as has the official premiership website.
Glawsinwuss
Senior squad member

stuartjames 05 Nov 2019 11:34 am said..

Saracens statement:

The Club is pleased the Panel acknowledged it did not deliberately attempt to breach the salary cap and steadfastly maintains that player co-investments do not constitute salary under the regulations. This view is supported by independent legal and professional experts.

The Club will continue to vigorously defend this position especially as PRL precedent already exists whereby co-investments have not been deemed part of salary in the regulations.

As previously stated, the Club made administrative errors relating to the non-disclosure of some transactions to PRL and for this we apologise. We are pleased to confirm we now have a robust governance framework in place and this will be overseen by an external counsel to ensure the Club follows best practice.

Furthermore, it is the Club’s belief that the Panel’s narrow interpretation of the regulations is detrimental to player welfare across the league and is damaging the development of elite level rugby in the UK.

Saracens is proud of its pioneering, innovative approach to player welfare, developing their talents and supporting their entrepreneurial spirit for life beyond rugby.
stuartjames
Hall of Famer

King Prawn Bhuna 05 Nov 2019 11:37 am said..

This obviously went deeper than just the so-called development companies...excellent job done by PRL.

Any other squeaky bums in boardrooms up and down the country , run by megarich businessmen paying huge amounts?
I'd love to agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong....
King Prawn Bhuna

MattChelt 05 Nov 2019 11:37 am said..

Table hasn't been updated on the BBC Sport website yet, despite the story (currently) being their top article.

On the Daily Fail website, their new article states:
"What happens next?

The Premiership table will be updated with an asterisk against Saracens - rather than taking them down to -26 points - pending any review in the next 14 days. The scope of a review is limited and 'can only be on the basis that there has been an error of law, the decision is irrational or that there has been some procedural unfairness.' "

Think I'll trust the official Prem website's table more than what the Fail are stating...
MattChelt
Vice-Captain
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby