It’s about to go off!

Re: It’s about to go off!

steckers 18 Sep 2019 22:59 pm said..

It's got nothing to do with the newspaper - the story is clearly true and Saracens have admitted it. But - it will be swept under the carpet - don't get your hopes up.
steckers
Hall of Famer

MrGlawsRocker 19 Sep 2019 05:52 am said..

lovejoy wrote:I'm not clicking on that link, I assume the story is a Saracens salary cap one?

I'm not the only one then.
In Ackermann we Trust.
MrGlawsRocker
On the board

MrGlawsRocker 19 Sep 2019 05:59 am said..

Daily Heil-less link on the story for those not wanting to give anything to that tabloid rag:

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/gallagher-premiership-clubs-revolt-saracens-3333192
In Ackermann we Trust.
MrGlawsRocker
On the board

MrGlawsRocker 19 Sep 2019 06:01 am said..

Daily Heil-less link on the story for those not wanting to give anything to that tabloid rag

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/gallagher-premiership-clubs-revolt-saracens-3333192
In Ackermann we Trust.
MrGlawsRocker
On the board

Steve M 19 Sep 2019 06:56 am said..

I wrote this on a previous thread less than one month go - that's about how often this subject comes up - and still think the same

If found guilty to any degree they should immediately have to reduce their team salary; then things could get interesting.

Sarries would almost certainly need to offload at least a couple of their top earners to reduce their wage bill. Could see the strange scenario of Vunipola, Itoje, et al being clubless and no-one else in the Prem having room within the cap to take them on.

Presumably if that scenario did play out and players were released immediately through no fault of their own (I'm being generous there but not sure the individual players can be held responsible for the team breaking the cap) they would then be entitled to have their salaries paid off as if they had completed their contracts, which for many could be a number of years and stacks of dosh.

Dont really expect much in the way of punishment for earlier seasons but if the continuance of this 'abuse' could be stopped going forward I think that would do it for me.
The only problem with doing nothing is not knowing when you have finished.
Steve M
Hall of Famer

MattChelt 19 Sep 2019 07:28 am said..

Here's a scenario:

Sarries found guilty, and forced to reduce their salary bill and therefore their playing staff, at which point their big-name big-money England stars are tempted overseas (France, Japan) by big-money offers too good to refuse. What would the RFU then do about their ring-fenced England selection policy if the likes of Farrell, the Vinipola brothers and Itoje (and maybe others) all suddenly weren't playing for English Prem. clubs any more?

Unlikely, I suspect, but have always wondered what the RFU policy would be if (say) Farrell announced he was off to (say) France.

This was fudged several years ago when 2 clubs (we all know who) were caught at it. Seems the stance from the other clubs this time is somewhat different, but it's all just words until the time they might be forced to react formally should another fudge take place, or Sarries appeal any sanctions levied against them - the other clubs would then HAVE to follow through or the whole process becomes nothing more than hot air, and the guilty party is (again, allegedly) allowed to get away with it.

Club season starts tomorrow, with the Prem. starting in 4 weeks time. This needs to be sorted before the 1st Prem. games (pending any appeals), as it's been rumbling on for far too long already.
MattChelt
Vice-Captain

King Prawn Bhuna 19 Sep 2019 10:11 am said..

Irrespective of salary cap, I think it's immoral that they spend so much money cherry picking players (helping to inflate their worth) with sod all in the way of revenue , let alone profit!

...and they don't even own their ground and choose to live in social housing.

That's the first thing that a few clubs should be pulled up on.

Make their salary cap linked to profit and revenue and see what happens.
Here's to the nights I'll never remember with the friends I'll never forget...
King Prawn Bhuna

SonofPricey 19 Sep 2019 11:37 am said..

If Saracens have broken the rules around the cap then they should be punished. A significant fine plus a reduction in their cap (beginning next season) would be my preferred outcome. I don't believe it would be fair to the players already in place - particularly those away on International duty - to have their livelihoods put into question at such short notice.

After the World Cup it may actually be immaterial in some cases about the whereabouts of some of the key England players - at least for the next 2 years. If England have a good or great tournament, the likes of Itoje, Farrell, Vunipola (Billy and Mako) may decide to cash-in and take an international 'sabbatical', playing in France or Japan.
SonofPricey
Vice-Captain

stevieb 19 Sep 2019 11:57 am said..

SonofPricey wrote:If Saracens have broken the rules around the cap then they should be punished. A significant fine plus a reduction in their cap (beginning next season) would be my preferred outcome. I don't believe it would be fair to the players already in place - particularly those away on International duty - to have their livelihoods put into question at such short notice.

After the World Cup it may actually be immaterial in some cases about the whereabouts of some of the key England players - at least for the next 2 years. If England have a good or great tournament, the likes of Itoje, Farrell, Vunipola (Billy and Mako) may decide to cash-in and take an international 'sabbatical', playing in France or Japan.

And cash in with their agent able to demand inflated wages "...look at all the 'winners medals' my client has on his cv".
stevieb
Hall of Famer

Pieman 19 Sep 2019 12:22 pm said..

I've got a kind of pessimistic view of this...

The impression of cheating will remain if a not guilty verdict is delivered. But I think Sarries have been 'open' with the PR drive as they think they are in the clear. They may well be.

But the impression of cheating, with the sugar daddy, who is able to fund whatever will remain.

The only tactic everyone has is to talk tough regarding punishments, otherwise the other clubs are then found wanting commercially and that the overall product is one of a non-level playing field. Who will want to turn up to Sale on Friday night against Sarries with either a full strength side, or even worse, their B side because they can afford to do so due to their better financial position.

If they are found guilty, no punishment will ever be enough for some, and there are some obvious practical limitations regarding established players as stated above.

All, in all, this is a loose - loose scenario for everyone.
Pieman
Vice-Captain
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby