It’s about to go off!

Re: It’s about to go off!

kentishglaws 18 Sep 2019 18:44 pm said..

If they’re found to be guilty, they should be stripped of the titles that they won during the cheating period. The NRL did the same with the Melbourne Storm a few years back and it seems to have worked.

People might say this is extreme, but in other sports where an athlete cheats (ie performance enhancing drugs) they have their titles removed. Giving saracens a 35 points penalty for the coming season won’t do anything in the long run, and they’re so good, they’ll probably still do well.
kentishglaws
Vice-Captain

robs1 18 Sep 2019 19:07 pm said..

kentishglaws wrote:If they’re found to be guilty, they should be stripped of the titles that they won during the cheating period. The NRL did the same with the Melbourne Storm a few years back and it seems to have worked.

People might say this is extreme, but in other sports where an athlete cheats (ie performance enhancing drugs) they have their titles removed. Giving saracens a 35 points penalty for the coming season won’t do anything in the long run, and they’re so good, they’ll probably still do well.

Have to say I agree with that, if you cheated your way to the top then it gets taken away from you, especially so with Sarries as they have form(alledgedly of course) so should have learnt their lesson rather than find even more devious ways of cheating, if they were certain their schemes were legit then why werent they declaring them
robs1
Hall of Famer

Mr GTS 18 Sep 2019 19:12 pm said..

Remember when the Daily Fail print anything about Glaws or Cipriani they can't be trusted and it's all 'fake news'. Surely we must have the same attitude when about Sarries.
Mr GTS
Senior squad member

Not1eyed 18 Sep 2019 19:21 pm said..

Don’t apply sense Mr GTS. Logic has no place on SW
Not1eyed
Hall of Famer

covglaws 18 Sep 2019 20:28 pm said..

Mr GTS wrote:Remember when the Daily Fail print anything about Glaws or Cipriani they can't be trusted and it's all 'fake news'. Surely we must have the same attitude when about Sarries.

Totally different scenarios. For Sarries it's Her Majesty's loyal press exposing the truth about a corrupt, dirty, stinking, lying bunch of shysters. With Glaws, it's the scumbag gutter press, soiling their low grade rag with scurrilous rubbish, trying to tarnish the honourable reputation of a much loved national institution. :D

Surely you can see that.
Alcohol, the cause of and solution to all of life's problems. - Homer Simpson.
Posts: 1620  Location: Sent to Coventry - Well someone's got to live here!
covglaws
Hall of Famer

Lurker 18 Sep 2019 20:46 pm said..

Wonder if Elliot Daly will be allowed to play for Sarries if they are found guilty as presume they will have to release some players - last in/first out maybe? I would take him (if we have room in our salary cap)!!
Lurker
Hall of Famer

Allez Glaws 18 Sep 2019 21:13 pm said..

kentishglaws wrote:If they’re found to be guilty, they should be stripped of the titles that they won during the cheating period. The NRL did the same with the Melbourne Storm a few years back and it seems to have worked.

Completely agree. Not a punishment unless they lose something they cheated to gain.

Only thing 35 point deduction might do is stop them winning the league one year and dropping out the Heineken cup. They'd then win the challenge Cup (and the league due to the extra rests) and normal service would continue. No players would leave during that time as they know its temporary.
Allez Glaws
Hero in the making

PeteG 18 Sep 2019 21:22 pm said..

Having successfully consulted my crystal ball (s)
Here is my prediction: After the can was kicked down the road to an arbitration committee …..spot the dodge folks!

Naughty Sarries are found to be "accidentally to have breached salary rules/regulations

Naughty Sarries promise not to be Naughty again (regarding this breach.......type)

Committee invokes derisory penalty

Money Talks... Live, Die, Repeat
PeteG
Senior squad member

Baz 18 Sep 2019 21:58 pm said..

Mr GTS wrote:Remember when the Daily Fail print anything about Glaws or Cipriani they can't be trusted and it's all 'fake news'. Surely we must have the same attitude when about Sarries.

It’s not though is it? It’s well documented and admitted by Saracens themselves that they set up companies in the players and club names. It’s up to Premiership rugby to decide if they’ve stepped over the line?
I do wonder why, whenever another club is criticised why a Gloucester supporter would want to bring us (Gloucester) in to it? Any allegations made have nothing to do with us...I really don’t understand why? Not just aimed at you, others do it too.
Baz
Hall of Famer

DieTrying 18 Sep 2019 22:21 pm said..

Unfortunately money talks and as Nigel Wray has already written off £48M of debt, hi net worth is £300M, and CVC have chucked a load of dosh into Prem Rugby ,it'll be difficult, so IF found Guilty, I'd:

1. Strip them of all Cups / titles won by all sides at all levels since 2014, as that I believe was the last time everyone fessed up.
2. Get EPCR to strip them of all the Euro Titles as 1 above and would include removing the stars on the shirts. ( a visible punishment.
3. I think the penalty is 50p in every £1 over, backdated again to 2014.
4. The RFU should charge the Club and Individuals with bringing the game into disrepute.
5. Deduct them x points.
6. Insist an Independent Forensic Accountant is put in charge of the books.
7. Remove their Academy status.

Whilst the points deduction will hardly affect them, their reputation will be tarnished. Mind you the chances of the above are nil. They'll just smugly raise the middle finger and move on. PRL have passed the buck on this one and the game will suffer. Whilst I understand Wrays reasoning on co-investments and to a degree, agree with it, it's not, imho, a "minor internal oversight", but an underhanded breach of the rules, compounded by the swift statement they put out after it hit the press.
DieTrying
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby