It’s about to go off!

It’s about to go off!

Old Rik 18 Sep 2019 07:39 am said..

Old Rik
Vice-Captain

Re: It’s about to go off!

Tumpy+1 18 Sep 2019 07:51 am said..

As one commentator at the end of the article says and I quote "Why should a points deduction apply to next season when it was last season it happened. Kick them out of Europe at least for this season and then deduct the points" I totally agree with, if Saracens are found to be guilty of the offence of course.
They and others need to understand that any punishment or sanctions need to be effective and relevant. Got a feeling this will take a fair bit longer to conclude. I wonder if Glos have ever been investigated in relation to a breach of salary cap overpayment?
Officially 'Happy Clappy'
Tumpy+1
Hero in the making

King Prawn Bhuna 18 Sep 2019 07:54 am said..

Why do I have the feeling this will end up a damp squib and this is The Daily Heil, blowing its trumpet on a story that gets everyone's hope up...and ends up being a story getting buried somewhere in the latter stages of the world cup .
Here's to the nights I'll never remember with the friends I'll never forget...
King Prawn Bhuna

Kingfisher 18 Sep 2019 08:05 am said..

King Prawn Bhuna wrote:Why do I have the feeling this will end up a damp squib and this is The Daily Heil, blowing its trumpet on a story that gets everyone's hope up...and ends up being a story getting buried somewhere in the latter stages of the world cup .

My thoughts exactly.
Kingfisher
First team regular

Castle Grim Reaper 18 Sep 2019 08:47 am said..

The problem here is that they probably haven't broken any rules.

A very shrewd business man has found a way round the rules and they are merely in breach of the spirit of the rules. Although I would love them to throw the book at them, I suspect the appeal processes and particularly the legal appeals will find against PRL.
Castle Grim Reaper
Hall of Famer

Baz 18 Sep 2019 09:07 am said..

Whatever the result of the enquiry you would hope that a ‘level playing field’ will emerge from this? The evidence is clear that there is a financial advantage in joining and playing for Saracens... and that is not right.
If you claim a 18 handicap in golf and you play off scratch you will win most competitions. We either do away with the salary cap or we abide by the rules. The former will see a few clubs go out of business and that is the bottom line and result of what they do. Of course you will attract the best young talent in the Country if you know you will be financially secure. Saracens May have worked within the rules(we will find out) but they are also damaging the Premiership.
Baz
Hall of Famer

DieTrying 18 Sep 2019 09:11 am said..

It was all supposed to be sorted in 2014 will all Clubs being open, honest and playing to the rules. That seems to have gone out of the window.
DieTrying

Lurker 18 Sep 2019 10:41 am said..

Interesting (if true) that the other clubs are now prepared to take a stance against Sarries, which they werent prepared to do last time around.
Lurker
Hall of Famer

lovejoy 18 Sep 2019 11:45 am said..

I'm not clicking on that link, I assume the story is a Saracens salary cap one?
lovejoy
Hero in the making

mjad 18 Sep 2019 11:48 am said..

Even if they're found guilty, I can't see them being kicked out of the league (the other 11 clubs will lose the income from 1 home match) & the knock on effect of Europe, do you just swap them with the next English team (Wasps) or promote the 7 English teams (i.e. we become the 2nd English Seeds & end up with Exeter's draw)

It's all too impractical to do anything like this for 2019/20, a points deduction of 35 points is possible (if this was retrospective, they still would have been above Leicester).

I can see it become some insipid low level wrist slap (if they're found guilty), but would be nice to see it significant enough they don't make the play-offs (if, for no other reason, an Exeter - Glaws final would be a much better atmosphere at HQ)
Regards
Michael
mjad
Hero in the making
Next

Return to Gloucester Rugby