O/T Kids rugby gear

O/T Kids rugby gear

stuartjames 17 Sep 2019 17:15 pm said..

My 13 year old son has just moved up an age group and he's asking for one of those padded undershirts, with the shoulder protectors etc. What do any parents on here think of them, are they supposed to be very tight fitting ?

I think it's more of a confidence thing than he's suddenly going to turn into Sam Underhill and try to tackle everything, but he's a small nippy back, and some of those forwards are a lot bigger.

Thanks for any replies.
stuartjames
On the board

Re: O/T Kids rugby gear

NorthernShedHead 17 Sep 2019 19:29 pm said..

Used to wear one and on the very very rare occasion I play now I still do... though can't help but think it's more of a mental boost than physical protection!

I'm a chubby bloke so mine is very tight fitting but the material suggests it should be anyway!
NorthernShedHead
Vice-Captain

Kingfisher 17 Sep 2019 19:34 pm said..

I wore one for a while but found them uncomfortable especially when wet but It definitely made me that bit braver (there's a case nowadays of...is that a good thing).
The glos store in the quays used to have a decent range.

I used to and still would 100% wear a head guard though irrespective of position. (I was a 11/14/15) Each to their own though.
Kingfisher
First team regular

Sue D'Nimes 17 Sep 2019 20:09 pm said..

Current research shows that both shoulder and head guards do not reduce injury but could increase injury due to players feeling invincible.
TEAMWORK RESPECT ENJOYMENT DISCIPLINE SPORTSMANSHIP
Sue D'Nimes
Senior squad member

Kingfisher 17 Sep 2019 20:51 pm said..

Sue D'Nimes wrote:Current research shows that both shoulder and head guards do not reduce injury but could increase injury due to players feeling invincible.

There's lots of research and arguments that unfortunately argue strongly for both points so it's generally a mixed bag of results.

One ex-England international once told me whilst coaching us, 'you wear nothing and I'll wear a head guard and we'll see who stops first when we bang our heads against a wall'. It definitely softens the blows in games and those blows add up over the years.

All I know is that my head guard saves me a lot of pain many many times in big collisions. One example is that me and another fullback from WestonSM, both ran flat out at a bouncing ball and we clattered into eachothers heads and went flying. I was a bit dazed but no injuries, he was out cold with a huge cut across his forehead. I know for sure I would have been in a similar state if not for the guard.

I understand the point it makes in the research about confidence etc, but I don't think any rugby player thinks he or she is invincible because they wear a centimeter thick pad.
Kingfisher
First team regular

MrGlawsRocker 19 Sep 2019 06:13 am said..

I tried to wear some padding during contact training to reduce chance of pre season injury and personally hated it.

As a loose head I seriously found the padding restrictive and uncomfortable, in of itself that caused more problems than simply giving more cushion on hits.

It's really about what the player prefers, try it with and without and see what he prefers.
In Ackermann we Trust.
MrGlawsRocker
On the board

Glossince86 19 Sep 2019 06:48 am said..

stuartjames wrote:My 13 year old son has just moved up an age group and he's asking for one of those padded undershirts, with the shoulder protectors etc. What do any parents on here think of them, are they supposed to be very tight fitting ?

I think it's more of a confidence thing than he's suddenly going to turn into Sam Underhill and try to tackle everything, but he's a small nippy back, and some of those forwards are a lot bigger.

Thanks for any replies.

Generally tight fitting like a base layer, and I’d suggest the full length T-shirt rather than the crop top or best variants are better.

Regarding the overconfidence/injury issue, I found I got injured more when I went into a tackle half arsed rather than full commutes so I’d say if they give you confidence then that’s better!
Glossince86
On the board

Return to Gloucester Rugby