Gareth Thomas

Re: Gareth Thomas

gmorgan131285 16 Sep 2019 15:39 pm said..

Gareth Thomas (Alfie)
100 Caps for Wales across 4 World Cups
40 Tries for Wales, only Shane Williams has scored more
3 British and Irish Lions Caps (2 as Captain)
20 Tries in 61 Appearances for Toulouse over 3 seasons.
300+ Club Games across 16 Years
Dual code Wales International
First openly Gay Rugby player.
This alone makes him a role model to me and thousands of others, this legend has only grown since his retirement. Incredible courage shown by Gareth yet again!
gmorgan131285
Hero in the making

TheOptimistSenior 16 Sep 2019 15:50 pm said..

"Fact"correction

tigerchef wrote:.....
So, something else about me. Last year I suffered a very minor stroke that was stopped in time. The reason it was stopped was that I took an aspirin as soon as I felt the signs of a stroke come on. How did I know, well I was fully informed and had understood that I may be having a stroke and the best thing to do was have an aspirin. I am a bit of an abnormality, as the vast majority of people who suffer a stroke don't act on it and are left with months of theorapy etc.

You were a very lucky man, Tigerchef, and also prescient (and badly "fully informed"). How did you know you were having a thrombotic stroke and not a haemorrhagic stroke?

The advice to anyone who thinks they are having a stroke, is NOT to take aspirin, but to call an ambulance urgently. An aspirin could have been catastrophic if you had had a bleed causing your symptoms.

Whilst clearly you have been involved in the prevention and possibly, management, of HIV in Africa (where I suspect your figures for 33% of new HIV cases come from), and I applaud you for that, I cannot agree with your premise that the NHS is saddled with costs for "avoidable" disease/illness/injury. Your reasoning is deeply flawed and thus, your conclusions are, in my opinion, simply wrong.
Last edited by TheOptimistSenior on 16 Sep 2019 16:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheOptimistSenior
Vice-Captain

Chalker 16 Sep 2019 15:55 pm said..

I've just looked at the Home Page of Shedweb and it says:
Gloucester Rugby
All things glawster--------

Just saying.
Chalker
Hall of Famer

Crasher 16 Sep 2019 20:56 pm said..

MrGlawsRocker wrote:so surely this is something you're discussing with your family? "Hey there remember your new girl/boyfriend may have HIV, so make sure you get checked out as you do not know where [they have] been"

I mean c'mon!

This is exactly what you should be doing to help prevent situations like this arising .... HIV is not the only thing you need to protect yourself from.

If everyone just ignores the risk then infection rates go up.
Crasher
Vice-Captain

Gloucester Mute 16 Sep 2019 22:53 pm said..

Remarkable timing and coincidence that GT has a programme on BBC Wales this week and this news story broke out last weekend. ;)

Bit like David Cameron's book launch happening this week and the Boris/Brexit "revelations" happening this w/e alongside the book being serialised in The Times.

There's nowt like emotion and stigmas when a publicist is in town...…….or am I being a cynic ??

Plus I'm pleased to hear that GT only has to take one tablet a day @ 6am + have a blood test every 6 months to keep his HIV at bay. Oh and well done Gareth on your Iron Man Wales triathlon on Saturday - 12 hours and 18 minutes of full-on exercise. Fortunately HIV ain't as debilitating as it used to be. :shock: :shock:
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Posts: 1397  Location: Dursley - At the heart of the County
Gloucester Mute
Hall of Famer

tigerchef 17 Sep 2019 09:24 am said..

TheOptimistSenior wrote:"Fact"correction

tigerchef wrote:.....
So, something else about me. Last year I suffered a very minor stroke that was stopped in time. The reason it was stopped was that I took an aspirin as soon as I felt the signs of a stroke come on. How did I know, well I was fully informed and had understood that I may be having a stroke and the best thing to do was have an aspirin. I am a bit of an abnormality, as the vast majority of people who suffer a stroke don't act on it and are left with months of theorapy etc.

You were a very lucky man, Tigerchef, and also prescient (and badly "fully informed"). How did you know you were having a thrombotic stroke and not a haemorrhagic stroke?

The advice to anyone who thinks they are having a stroke, is NOT to take aspirin, but to call an ambulance urgently. An aspirin could have been catastrophic if you had had a bleed causing your symptoms.

Whilst clearly you have been involved in the prevention and possibly, management, of HIV in Africa (where I suspect your figures for 33% of new HIV cases come from), and I applaud you for that, I cannot agree with your premise that the NHS is saddled with costs for "avoidable" disease/illness/injury. Your reasoning is deeply flawed and thus, your conclusions are, in my opinion, simply wrong.

In 2016 I was discussing with some friends of mine (very few I know) about ailments that we didnt have when we were in our 20's and one of them piped up with an article they had read on BBC news about advice on taking an Asprin during or shortly after a transient ischaemic attack. Rubbish I said, how do you know what type of stroke you are having? So being the argumentative type I had a look.

https://www.nhs.uk/news/neurology/study ... h-aspirin/

I read it and thought to myself, well my Grandfather, his Brother and their Father all died of a stroke caused by a clot. When I noticed the signs, I remebered the study and took the risk, as I was fully informed by my family history and the article on the NHS website. Since then I spend more time filling out forms and answering questions about current health and why I took the Asprin, than having actuall check-ups!

Of course always dial 999, but sometimes its quite difficult to do, in the middle of a transient ischaemic attack, on your own, panacking, scared shitless, unable to talk.
tigerchef
On the board

Porky 17 Sep 2019 09:38 am said..

Should we not just start a thread called "The life and times of Tigerchef"?

This "Gareth Thomas" thread now seems to be all about someone else.

Get over yourself and stop being unnecessarily judgemental about Alfie.
Last edited by Porky on 19 Sep 2019 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Time you enjoy wasting is never wasted.
Porky
Hall of Famer

tigerchef 17 Sep 2019 09:42 am said..

Porky wrote:Should we not just start a thread called "The life and times of Tigerchef"?

This "Gareth Thomas" thread now seems to be all about someone else.

Get over yourself and stop being unnecessarily judgemental about Herbie.

Thanks for your valued input, no seriously it's appreciated. Can I also state for the record, that I have no issues with fictional disney characters.
tigerchef
On the board

Fat Taff 17 Sep 2019 11:23 am said..

We've all had some learning on this thread, the uppermost being that a request to admin to delete your account does not have immediate results.
Fat Taff
Hall of Famer

Gloucester Mute 17 Sep 2019 11:27 am said..

Beware banning free speech.....
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Posts: 1397  Location: Dursley - At the heart of the County
Gloucester Mute
Hall of Famer
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby