Gareth Thomas

Gareth Thomas

DieTrying 14 Sep 2019 21:05 pm said..

DieTrying

Re: Gareth Thomas

TP17 14 Sep 2019 22:47 pm said..

Huge respect for Gareth. It’s very sad that he’s had to announce it like this because of the tabloids, although I’m not really surprised anymore by how low they can stoop. He has shown huge strength, he is a role model.
TP17
Hall of Famer

madders 15 Sep 2019 05:31 am said..

Why do people feel the need to “come out” and bore us all to death with their self indulgent wittering about their sexuality!
I’d rather they kept it to themselves, like the rest of us do.
Mind you, it didn’t do his career any harm, the good old beeb embrace anything other than the norm.
I started off with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left.
madders
Hall of Famer

coleser 15 Sep 2019 06:38 am said..

There will certainly be members of the LGBTQ+ community using this forum so it’s important for them to know that not everyone shares the blinkered, backward and, frankly, unkind views offered above.

Solidarity with the LGBTQ+ community and all thoughts with Gareth and those affected with HIV. Coming out must be difficult when ignorant members of society (again, see above) kick against anything that disturbs their black and white vision of how people should think, act and behave in the 21st century. To those struggling with the huge process of coming out: not everyone is as cruel and glib and unthinking. I support all those making difficult and life-changing decisions.
coleser
Vice-Captain

Tuffty 15 Sep 2019 06:46 am said..

A fact I’m not clear on is when he became infected and at what point it was subsequently known?

For me this potentially raises the question of responsibility of the individual concerned and their duty of care to others, especially in a full contact sport such as rugby.

I might be barking up the wrong tree (and stand ready to be corrected) but I feel that understanding the timeline of events, whatever that may be, is important.
Tuffty

"The Holy Writ of Gloucester Rugby Club demands: first, that the forwards shall win the ball; second, that the forwards shall keep the ball; and third, the backs shall buy the beer." - Doug Ibbotson
Tuffty
Hall of Famer

lovejoy 15 Sep 2019 06:51 am said..

coleser wrote:There will certainly be members of the LGBTQ+ community using this forum so it’s important for them to know that not everyone shares the blinkered, backward and, frankly, unkind views offered above.

Solidarity with the LGBTQ+ community and all thoughts with Gareth and those affected with HIV. Coming out must be difficult when ignorant members of society (again, see above) kick against anything that disturbs their black and white vision of how people should think, act and behave in the 21st century. To those struggling with the huge process of coming out: not everyone is as cruel and glib and unthinking. I support all those making difficult and life-changing decisions.

Well said.
lovejoy
Hero in the making

Number10 15 Sep 2019 07:12 am said..

Tuffty wrote:A fact I’m not clear on is when he became infected and at what point it was subsequently known?

For me this potentially raises the question of responsibility of the individual concerned and their duty of care to others, especially in a full contact sport such as rugby.

I might be barking up the wrong tree (and stand ready to be corrected) but I feel that understanding the timeline of events, whatever that may be, is important.

I'm not fully certain of the facts but I think it is almost impossible to pass the disease on apart from through sex or sharing needles. So I think whenever he contracted it it was probably best kept in the dark whilst he was playing (it was hard enough for him coming out)
Number10
Hall of Famer

SIBARITE 15 Sep 2019 09:38 am said..

coleser wrote:There will certainly be members of the LGBTQ+ community using this forum so it’s important for them to know that not everyone shares the blinkered, backward and, frankly, unkind views offered above.

A very judgemental statement in itself. Views are entitled to be aired and discussed without fear of being labled or called names. A cheap ploy often used to suppress free discussion.
SIBARITE
First team regular

King Prawn Bhuna 15 Sep 2019 10:15 am said..

I really cannot be associated with the singular comment above. He is a regular in many of the communities in the valleys and has a lot of time for folk and charities and my friends in the area say you never hear a bad word about him

Although I wasn't impressed with his autobiography...in my opinion it was a bit of a whinge....you have to respect his career (in boh codes), how he has dealt with his sexuality in a testosterone fuelled world, and now his illness.

Good on you Alfie.
Here's to the nights I'll never remember with the friends I'll never forget...
King Prawn Bhuna

RossM 15 Sep 2019 10:24 am said..

King Prawn Bhuna wrote:I really cannot be associated with the singular comment above. He is a regular in many of the communities in the valleys and has a lot of time for folk and charities and my friends in the area say you never hear a bad word about him

Although I wasn't impressed with his autobiography...in my opinion it was a bit of a whinge....you have to respect his career (in boh codes), how he has dealt with his sexuality in a testosterone fuelled world, and now his illness.

Good on you Alfie.

Seconded.
RossM
Vice-Captain
Next

Return to Gloucester Rugby