No more players?

Re: No more players?

shawnsheep 02 Jun 2018 22:29 pm said..

heard we have a couple more coming in, albeit from the lower divisions - Cornwall.

Cant remember the name, but was told, the "next Jonny May"
shawnsheep
Vice-Captain

Sheddy Mcshedface 02 Jun 2018 22:54 pm said..

shawnsheep wrote:heard we have a couple more coming in, albeit from the lower divisions - Cornwall.

Cant remember the name, but was told, the "next Jonny May"

One has to assume if this is true that they would come from Cornish Pirates. An unscientific look at there website would suggest either Kyle Mould or Alex O'meara as potential candidates for young, quick wingers.

This should of course be taken with a substantial pinch of salt but it's nice to have some new names in the mix.
Sheddy Mcshedface
Hall of Famer

Marble Eye 02 Jun 2018 23:04 pm said..

Cant remember the name

If that is a hint at A J Cant, he signed a new contract in March. But then contracts are there to be broken.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/43559761
Marble Eye
Hall of Famer

grunter 04 Jun 2018 10:41 am said..

Just my personal opinion but I won't be so concerned about Van Rensburg not coming here as I will be about our cover in the No. 9 position. We are going to be very reliant on Willie Heinz remaining injury free in a pivotal season which now includes the added heavy burden of Champions Cup rugby. JA seems to favour Braley as first line back-up and I'm sorry to have to say that I don't believe him to be of the required standard. Ben Vellacott may well eventually turn out to be of a similar standard to Dan Robson but he is way off that at present. Am I the only one who believes that we are low on SID at scrum half?
Last edited by grunter on 04 Jun 2018 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
grunter
On the board

Mark from Stroud 04 Jun 2018 10:44 am said..

grunter wrote: low on SID at fly half?

Did you mean fly half?
Mark from Stroud
On the board

grunter 04 Jun 2018 10:58 am said..

Mark from Stroud wrote:
grunter wrote: low on SID at fly half?

Did you mean fly half?

A senior moment! That should have read scrum half, now amended.
Last edited by grunter on 04 Jun 2018 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
grunter
On the board

Gb83 04 Jun 2018 11:04 am said..

grunter wrote:Just my personal opinion but I won't be so concerned about Van Rensburg not coming here as I will be about our cover in the No. 9 position. We are going to be very reliant on Willie Heinz remaining injury free in a pivotal season which now includes the added heavy burden of Champions Cup rugby. JA seems to favour Braley as first line back-up and I'm sorry to have to say that I don't believe him to be of the required standard. Ben Vellacott may well eventually turn out to be of a similar standard to Dan Robson but he is way off that at present. Am I the only one who believes that we are low on SID at fly half?

I agree, I think Heinz is our most important player. Hopefully with a good pre season Vellacott can step up, Brayley is ok for cameo roles but he’s only started key games as a result of injury, im surprised we didn’t sign an experienced 9 as back up but we can’t have it all. The signings we have made are huge.
Gb83
Hall of Famer

grunter 04 Jun 2018 11:10 am said..

I totally agree that we can't have it all but scrum half is such a pivotal position and lack of a strong back-up can be very disruptive.
grunter
On the board

Gb83 04 Jun 2018 11:13 am said..

grunter wrote:I totally agree that we can't have it all but scrum half is such a pivotal position and lack of a strong back-up can be very disruptive.

Totally agree, it was a position I expected us to recruit in. We missed Heinz massively when injured.
Gb83
Hall of Famer

Sheddy Mcshedface 04 Jun 2018 11:26 am said..

Gb83 wrote:
grunter wrote:I totally agree that we can't have it all but scrum half is such a pivotal position and lack of a strong back-up can be very disruptive.

Totally agree, it was a position I expected us to recruit in. We missed Heinz massively when injured.

Here's the kicker, we can either:

1) have 2 first choice scrum-halfs in a similar manner to Wasps with Robson & Simpson but this would mean that, assuming they are fit, they would be playing 95% of the game time available in the Prem and Champions Cup and Braley and Vellacot would only get on the pitch through injury or lower profile games.

2) the current system where Heinz is first choice and Braley/Vellacott getting more game time and being developed as players for the future.

In the short term Option 1 seems to be the best in making us as competitive as possible but would come at a cost.

For what it is worth for Braley to have a future in the top flight he is going to need to work on his game management as he seems to lack a bit of pace to be an explosive scrum-half who can up the tempo of the match.
Sheddy Mcshedface
Hall of Famer
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby