Martin StQuinton

Re: Martin StQuinton

Forrester 25 May 2018 09:10 am said..

Tump wrote:Such a difficult balance to strike. We all want our club to be safe but how to challenge the top without investment.
On balance I think calculated risk is a good thing. I want to see us at the top table. Mere existence as an also ran is not good enough for a club with the history of Gloucester.

Spot on. Its a money game now and you need to spend to keep up, let alone try and get ahead. Debt may have gone up slightly but it's not spiralling out of control like some others. The investments we've made on and off the pitch all seem pretty sensible to me and I've not felt this positive about the clubs future in a long time. I think MSQ and SV deserve a great deal of credit.
Forrester
On the board

Oxford Glaws 25 May 2018 09:33 am said..

I'd be amazed if we didn't see a significant increase in revenues this season. I am reinstating my membership after a fallow year and a mate who has only been a couple of times before is taking the seat next to me. There's £1,000 in the kitty for starters.
1Thes.5 [14] Now we exhort you, brethren, warn them that are unruly, comfort the feeble-minded, support the weak, be patient toward all men.
Oxford Glaws
Hall of Famer

TP17 25 May 2018 09:45 am said..

The club stated they've had the most membership sales for over 3 years.
TP17
Hall of Famer

BomberWells 25 May 2018 09:46 am said..

To add my two pennies worth I too think MSQ is doing an excellent job and feel lucky to have him as the man in charge.

The club feels like it is generally well run, has a long term plan and that everything possible is being done in the background to provide the environment for future success on the pitch.

In financial terms this is a risk as losses may accumulate over the next few years but if success does follow the added capital value will have made it more than worth it.

In comparison to most other rugby clubs I think we're doing pretty well.
BomberWells
Turns out for the A team

Baz 25 May 2018 10:07 am said..

OxfordGlaws said..... I am reinstating my membership after a fallow year and a mate who has only been a couple of times before is taking the seat next to me.

Well done Nick, good to hear....... I understand that season ticket sales are so far higher than they've been for some time. Also, despite the very big names that we have so far signed I don't think that any of them have broken the bank? The money in South Africa isn't big and the likes of Kriel will get a hefty pay rise but well within Premiership rates. I understand that Danny got closer to 300,000 than the 400,000 he wanted from Wasps. No doubt happy that if he played for England his money would be close to that over a season anyway?

In conversations about Champions Cup rugby I'm sure a figure of around 2 million was mentioned in the difference between the two competitions. This is made up by TV money, sponsorship and probably crowds. The difference of Munster, Montpellier, Leinster, Racing etc at home to say Agen or Pau will be like chalk and cheese. I like the Challenge Cup but the club will sell out these type of games more often than not and it has to be a spring board to expanding our capacity.

St Q has done exactly what you would hope an owner would do. He's speculated to accumulate and will give Ackermann a squad to be competitive with in all competitions next season. I don't think for one minute there is much point in booking Newcastle next season for the final but I would love to get to the knock outs. We are back at the top table, making signings that top clubs are envious of........... and wow, doesn't it feel good.
Baz
Hall of Famer

Rhino 25 May 2018 12:35 pm said..

Baz
+1 here.
Rhino
Vice-Captain

StroudieGlaws 25 May 2018 12:56 pm said..

Baz wrote:OxfordGlaws said..... I am reinstating my membership after a fallow year and a mate who has only been a couple of times before is taking the seat next to me.

Well done Nick, good to hear....... I understand that season ticket sales are so far higher than they've been for some time. Also, despite the very big names that we have so far signed I don't think that any of them have broken the bank? The money in South Africa isn't big and the likes of Kriel will get a hefty pay rise but well within Premiership rates. I understand that Danny got closer to 300,000 than the 400,000 he wanted from Wasps. No doubt happy that if he played for England his money would be close to that over a season anyway?

In conversations about Champions Cup rugby I'm sure a figure of around 2 million was mentioned in the difference between the two competitions. This is made up by TV money, sponsorship and probably crowds. The difference of Munster, Montpellier, Leinster, Racing etc at home to say Agen or Pau will be like chalk and cheese. I like the Challenge Cup but the club will sell out these type of games more often than not and it has to be a spring board to expanding our capacity.

St Q has done exactly what you would hope an owner would do. He's speculated to accumulate and will give Ackermann a squad to be competitive with in all competitions next season. I don't think for one minute there is much point in booking Newcastle next season for the final but I would love to get to the knock outs. We are back at the top table, making signings that top clubs are envious of........... and wow, doesn't it feel good.

Very interesting Baz.
I am intrigued as to the comments made about the salary cap as in all honesty I don't believe that if we thought we may have a problem as a club that we would be announcing it to the press, surely that would be very naive. I don't believe the management team are in any way naive.
StroudieGlaws
Hero in the making

King Prawn Bhuna 25 May 2018 13:48 pm said..

Don’t be too fooled by RSA players coming in on the cheap. Very naive if you think their agents don’t know their worth in the T14 or the Premiership. They are top players coming in at a premium. They are here for a number of reasons but we haven’t acquired them because they’re cheap. We have released money with some of the players that have left, and we have increased money from the Euro TV . I reckon we have a two/three year target and throw of the dice then the horns get pulled back in.

One thing is certain, a new era and exciting times ahead. Hold on to your bobble hats....we’re on the runway.....can’t wait for Belfast and the preseason.
Here's to the nights I'll never remember with the friends I'll never forget...
King Prawn Bhuna
Previous

Return to Gloucester Rugby