Martin StQuinton

Re: Martin StQuinton

Lord Lucan 24 May 2018 19:32 pm said..

Check the accounts, since MSQ has had control the level of debt has risen considerably, it is all in publicly available documents, I don’t doubt he is a decent man doing the best he can but the increase in debt leaves me uncomfortable, not as uncomfortable as a Wasps bond holder though.
Lord Lucan
Hall of Famer

Tump 24 May 2018 20:09 pm said..

Such a difficult balance to strike. We all want our club to be safe but how to challenge the top without investment.
On balance I think calculated risk is a good thing. I want to see us at the top table. Mere existence as an also ran is not good enough for a club with the history of Gloucester.
Tump
Vice-Captain

Lewi7 24 May 2018 20:12 pm said..

Income will also be projected to increase, with new shirts, Champs cup rugby, season ticket sales etc. The new pitch will also allow for a few more events / matches too.

MSQ is doing what RW couldn't / didn't want to do and he's doing a good job.
Posts: 3480  Location: Back in the 'Shire, how long for I wonder ?
Lewi7

Camel 24 May 2018 20:50 pm said..

Baz wrote:As it's quiet in rugby traffic I would just like to say what a great job StQ has done as the main owner. I wasn't particularly convinced about him, I have to say but he must have been on the ropes after the Altrad fiasco (and the back stabbing from some of the other owners) and he has come out fighting. He has delivered with the new pitch and coaching staff but most of all the absolute quality of signings, announced and unannounced. Steve Vaughan and in some quarters DH are rightly getting the publicity but the money man is Martin and in fairness he's done everything you could ask of an owner and more.

I really don't think we've had a thread on our owner specifically. Other than complimenting him on his sun tan and a chat about Barbados I've never really spoken to him...... but I'm sure there are some contributors on here who have and know him well. Fact is owners are only caretakers of a Club until someone else takes over, but in my opinion he's done one hell of a job. Even the new branding seems to have been handled well and looking at the other web sites in the Premiership some seem to be quite envious of how it's been managed. Maybe it's not trendy to compliment an owner but credit should be made where it's due.

I was pretty down after our Cup Final and I know he was too. He obviously understands what the club means, so credit to him. We seem to be in safe hands and most of us are now looking forward to seeing (arguably) the strongest squad we've ever had? Much of that has to be down to StQ, so Thanks.

Barry, that's an excellent post.

He took the club over when RW wanted out and has invested heavily in its future (relating to both playing and facilities).

At the time, I was strongly opposed to Altrad and am delighted that he remains uninvolved. I believe his influence would've poisoned the club.

Whilst some posters degrade the financial stability of the club, I remain very comfortable with our main shareholder; the emotional and financial support he provides is vital to success (both on and off the field).

Yes, I agree, this is strongest side (announced and unannounced) we've ever had and testament to our owner for putting that together.

Roll on next season.
"Remember that Rugby is team game; all 14 of you make sure that you pass the ball to Jonah"
Camel
Hall of Famer

Ignatov 24 May 2018 22:09 pm said..

Lord Lucan wrote:Check the accounts, since MSQ has had control the level of debt has risen considerably, it is all in publicly available documents, I don’t doubt he is a decent man doing the best he can but the increase in debt leaves me uncomfortable, not as uncomfortable as a Wasps bond holder though.

I haven't studied these as you have but MSQ took over from RW in January 2016 so the only published accounts since then are the 2016 and 2017 ones. The debts shown in these accounts have risen from £4.6m to £4.7m so hardly considerable. There was a director's loan to the company of just over £1m made during the 2015/16 accounting period but this and all the other debts were consolidated into an 8 year loan in July 2016 which reduced the overall cost of borrowings.

I would, however agree that the overall financial position of professional rugby looks difficult to sustain over the longer term.
Ignatov
Senior squad member

Castle Grim Reaper 25 May 2018 07:37 am said..

Ignoring all the technical bits, my wife and I were walking down a street in Parma the morning after the game. As we stood looking for a coffee shop another couple were walking down the street and I thought I recognised the guy, they walked on by and then awkwardly turned around, came back, said hello and had a very friendly chat for about five minutes.

Some people in sport are described as approachable, I suspect very few would make the effort to approach you. I came away from the chat with Martin and his wife feeling extremely confident that the club was in great hands, despite not really talking about it at all.
Castle Grim Reaper
Hall of Famer

covglaws 25 May 2018 08:42 am said..

I too am very happy with MStQ, really think we've got a good 'un who has the best interests of the club at heart. I think in the couple of years he's been full owner, things have changed markedly, with a really professional and pragmatic attitude to getting the club back to where we all want it to be. Direction was lost a bit during the latter part of the Walkinshaw era, no one's fault, but with Uncle Tom's ill health and subsequent demise, followed by Ryan's interest being more elsewhere.

As to the debts. In business terms, they are not huge for an enterprise with the sort of turnover of GR and as someone commented, sustainable debt is a normal part of business. I seem to recall than when asked about this at the last forum MStQ said that he wasn't interested in the club making a profit, as investing in the club is far more important. Or words to the effect. Let's face it, since the new stand was built, investment has been thin on the ground, with retrenchment being more the order of the day sometimes. Ground to be made up here.

Well done Martin, carry on in this vein and well be at the very top table before too long.
Alcohol, the cause of and solution to all of life's problems. - Homer Simpson.
Posts: 1377  Location: Sent to Coventry - Well someone's got to live here!
covglaws
Hall of Famer

SonofPricey 25 May 2018 08:45 am said..

I certainly feel more comfortable with MSQ than I ever did with Ryan Walkinshaw. However there are concerns in terms of increased levels of debt and the recent losses posted by the club. Now, these losses are understandable and in comparison with other clubs are relatively modest - but it is important that the club returns to profit as soon as possible. They are embarking on a number of exciting 'Capital projects' that are designed to encourage supporters to spend more money in the ground, get extra revenue streams or expand on existing ones. I think that the current leadership team at Gloucester are doing everything they can off the field to make the club a financial success, hopefully next season will see further improvement on the field.
SonofPricey
Vice-Captain

Kinga 25 May 2018 08:54 am said..

My head hurts! Can't we all just get along! To early to be trying to work this all out and it's a bank holiday weekend.

At least we aren't in the same boat as Wasps/Worcester or the late London Welsh.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Kinga
Vice-Captain

King Prawn Bhuna 25 May 2018 09:01 am said..

Or Bath or Saracens.....
Here's to the nights I'll never remember with the friends I'll never forget...
King Prawn Bhuna
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby