Rumours

Re: Rumours

robs1 16 Jan 2020 21:21 pm said..

If they had come clean and said look we are over the cap and we need to reduce wages by X amount which is in effect the wages of players x,y and z etc and we wont play them this year but have a legal requirement to pay their wages then I think they would have been seen to have made a reasonable effort to put their house in order, we all had a very strong idea that they couldnt get under the cap without such a course of action so they deserve what they get IMVHO.
Some of those who have been supporting sorries are going to have egg on their faces
robs1
Hall of Famer

Gb83 16 Jan 2020 21:27 pm said..

robs1 wrote:If they had come clean and said look we are over the cap and we need to reduce wages by X amount which is in effect the wages of players x,y and z etc and we wont play them this year but have a legal requirement to pay their wages then I think they would have been seen to have made a reasonable effort to put their house in order, we all had a very strong idea that they couldnt get under the cap without such a course of action so they deserve what they get IMVHO.
Some of those who have been supporting sorries are going to have egg on their faces

+1
Gb83
Hall of Famer

Camel 16 Jan 2020 23:16 pm said..

robs1 wrote:If they had come clean and said look we are over the cap and we need to reduce wages by X amount which is in effect the wages of players x,y and z etc and we wont play them this year but have a legal requirement to pay their wages then I think they would have been seen to have made a reasonable effort to put their house in order, we all had a very strong idea that they couldnt get under the cap without such a course of action so they deserve what they get IMVHO.

But having already played all of their available squad in GP games this season, they’ve already had the advantage against the clubs they’ve played (including us). It wouldn’t be fair to all of a sudden say x, y and z won’t play for the rest of the season, so let’s not take their wages into the cap. Other clubs haven’t had that advantage, why should they?

Why on earth should Premiership Rugby show any leniency to a club that has been found to be cheating, for what will effectively be 4 straight seasons, plus (allegedly) others before it?

Sorry, but they have cheated and (as they’ve admitted) are still cheating. If they don’t finish under the cap this season, then Premiership Rugby should throw the book at them and relegate the serial cheaters to the lower leagues.
"Remember that Rugby is team game; all 14 of you make sure that you pass the ball to Jonah"
Camel
Hall of Famer

ElephantJuice 16 Jan 2020 23:28 pm said..

80-odd of Saracens 1st XV scattering to the 4 corners of the world...
ElephantJuice
Vice-Captain

Chewbacca 16 Jan 2020 23:41 pm said..

So who are we signing from Sarries then?assuming an exodus is coming.
Chewbacca
Senior squad member

ElephantJuice 17 Jan 2020 00:01 am said..

Chewbacca wrote:So who are we signing from Sarries then?assuming an exodus is coming.

How many clubs will have the sort of room under the cap to take them in?

I guess one good outcome of this will be a downward pressure on salaries - without Wray flashing chequebook at all talent regardless of the cap, combined with clubs only having so much room with likely having signed half their needed players for next season already.

Hopefully will lead to bigger squads all around as wages go down - ironically increasing player welfare that Sarries love to mention...
ElephantJuice
Vice-Captain

kentishglaws 17 Jan 2020 00:07 am said..

If you’re taking your pick from the Sarries squad in relation to what position we could do with filling, you’d probably go with Mako or Jamie George. With us being light in the front row and hooker, wouldn’t be a bad shout. But then we’d never be able to afford their wages, maybe we could set up companies for them and co-invest....
kentishglaws
Vice-Captain

Forest 17 Jan 2020 05:33 am said..

kentishglaws wrote:If you’re taking your pick from the Sarries squad in relation to what position we could do with filling, you’d probably go with Mako or Jamie George. With us being light in the front row and hooker, wouldn’t be a bad shout. But then we’d never be able to afford their wages, maybe we could set up companies for them and co-invest....

That’s a great idea! We could even name the companies after them im not sure anyone would spot it either :lol:
Forest
Senior squad member

Tuffty 17 Jan 2020 05:45 am said..

The players were complicit in this as well, thus when this hits their earnings that is fair comeuppance.

I’m not sure how I’d feel if the club took on an ex-$aracen$ cap cheat?
Tuffty

"The Holy Writ of Gloucester Rugby Club demands: first, that the forwards shall win the ball; second, that the forwards shall keep the ball; and third, the backs shall buy the beer." - Doug Ibbotson
Tuffty
Hall of Famer

Simmo468 17 Jan 2020 08:11 am said..

Tuffty wrote:The players were complicit in this as well, thus when this hits their earnings that is fair comeuppance.

I’m not sure how I’d feel if the club took on an ex-$aracen$ cap cheat?

How are the players complicit? They don’t manage the cap and have no obligation to do so. No individual deal is breaking the cap and investments aren’t against the rules.
They are probably bound by contract not to discuss their deals. Do you really think Owen Farrell keeps a running tally on squad earnings?

The club management are wholly responsible for the their situation and unfortunately it will be their players who will suck up the consequences.
Simmo468
Hall of Famer
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby