Rumours

Re: Rumours

Lebowski 10 Dec 2019 22:09 pm said..

These rumours are all fuelled by agents seeking to maximise their clients’ value and journalists desperate for a story. Surely by now people have figured out Gloucester is as tight as a drum on these things. What’s the betting we will sign a quality player nobody has even thought about?
Lebowski

Camel 10 Dec 2019 22:16 pm said..

kentishglaws wrote:Would people rather Sinckler or Williams? On one hand you have a truly world class player around the park with decent scrumming ability, but will be away with England for large chunks of the season. On the other you have a really durable robust player who isn’t world class, but is definitely better in the scrum and won’t be away with England anywhere near as much, if at all. Plus he’s still incredibly handy around the park.

I’d be inclined to go for the latter, would be cheaper too

Great question.

Sinckler is, in my opinion, the best TH in the Northern hemisphere and has been for 2 years. He’s only 26 too, which is frightening given he’s got the best years ahead of him.

Williams is massive, around 130kg I think. I don’t reckon he’d be with us any more than Sinckler would, as I don’t think Cole will be in the England squad again, given his age and the fact England are in the next World Cup cycle. He’s certainly a top class European TH and would be an asset to any GP club.

Overall, I think I agree with Forest and would rather have Sinckler, but it’s a tight call.
"Remember that Rugby is team game; all 14 of you make sure that you pass the ball to Jonah"
Camel
Hall of Famer

Camel 10 Dec 2019 22:17 pm said..

Lebowski wrote:These rumours are all fuelled by agents seeking to maximise their clients’ value and journalists desperate for a story. Surely by now people have figured out Gloucester is as tight as a drum on these things. What’s the betting we will sign a quality player nobody has even thought about?

Which is exactly what happened with Afoa!
"Remember that Rugby is team game; all 14 of you make sure that you pass the ball to Jonah"
Camel
Hall of Famer

Camel 10 Dec 2019 22:24 pm said..

DieTrying wrote:The problem that Bristol will have is a season / two seasons down the line. Currently they have a few "Star" players on big money and a lot that aren't. Whilst Lansdown can pay silly money for the marque players, too much will alienate the rest of the squad. If Bristol keeping improving as they current are then those fringe players, that Lam picked up for peanuts, come up for contract renewal, they'll be asking for more of the pie as they helped Bristol on that road.

Yep, I think you’re absolutely right.

Exeter are ahead in that cycle and are starting to have those problems, hence they had to let the likes of Cordero, Lawday and Chudley leave in the last few seasons. They had to offer inflated salaries to the likes of Nowell, LCD and Simmonds in order to retain them.
Camel
Hall of Famer

DieTrying 10 Dec 2019 22:54 pm said..

Camel wrote:
DieTrying wrote:The problem that Bristol will have is a season / two seasons down the line. Currently they have a few "Star" players on big money and a lot that aren't. Whilst Lansdown can pay silly money for the marque players, too much will alienate the rest of the squad. If Bristol keeping improving as they current are then those fringe players, that Lam picked up for peanuts, come up for contract renewal, they'll be asking for more of the pie as they helped Bristol on that road.

Exeter are ahead in that cycle and are starting to have those problems, hence they had to let the likes of Cordero, Lawday and Chudley leave in the last few seasons. They had to offer inflated salaries to the likes of Nowell, LCD and Simmonds in order to retain them.

Therefore, the question still has to be asked: If Exeter, who make a profit, have to offload those players to keep to the cap, how the flip do Sarries, who's £75M debt was, in reality converted to equity from one group of people to the same group of people, afford the players they have. It's a nonsense.
DieTrying

King Prawn Bhuna 11 Dec 2019 09:09 am said..

DieTrying wrote:
Camel wrote:

Therefore, the question still has to be asked: If Exeter, who make a profit, have to offload those players to keep to the cap, how the flip do Sarries, who's £75M debt was, in reality converted to equity from one group of people to the same group of people, afford the players they have. It's a nonsense.

Simple...by cheating and flouting the rules.
Here's to the nights I'll never remember with the friends I'll never forget...
King Prawn Bhuna

jeppy89 12 Dec 2019 17:37 pm said..

DieTrying wrote:Therefore, the question still has to be asked: If Exeter, who make a profit, have to offload those players to keep to the cap, how the flip do Sarries, who's £75M debt was, in reality converted to equity from one group of people to the same group of people, afford the players they have. It's a nonsense.

Well because PnL doesn't affect the cap, you can either;

1) Try and break even by only spending what you can afford and therefore not use all of the cap (like Sale have being doing until the CVC money)
2) Make a profit and probably want to spend more on players but can't because you've reached the cap (Exeter)
3) Have an owner who is happy to lose money so pay up to the cap (Bath... supposedly)
4) Have an owner who is happy to lose money and happy to avoid the cap (Sarries)
jeppy89
Vice-Captain

TOBIAS 13 Dec 2019 10:38 am said..

Ruck Rugby news saying that J May will have to take a pay cut to stay with Tigers
TOBIAS
Hero in the making

Beddis 13 Dec 2019 10:42 am said..

I would rather we kept hold of Balmain as opposed to bringing in Sinckler or Williams. I get the impression that he is an asset off the field as well as being a really good player on it
Posts: 4112  Location: Malahide, Co Dublin. Formerly Lydney
Beddis

DieTrying 13 Dec 2019 11:50 am said..

TOBIAS wrote:Ruck Rugby news saying that J May will have to take a pay cut to stay with Tigers

See the May thread.
DieTrying
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby