Rumours

Re: Rumours

steckers 14 Nov 2019 22:18 pm said..

I thought they had a plan b last week - but execution was rubbish.

Every time the centres took the ball they were smashed. Maybe a couple of cheeky dinks behind their rush defence would have worked.

Either way, my original point was - there are lots of things that have been struggling yet we seem to focus so much on Cipriani.

But I'm confident we will see an improvement tomorrow.
steckers
Hall of Famer

Original Tetley 14 Nov 2019 23:54 pm said..

I'm still a fan of Atkinson at 12 however I think the ball around the back option is becoming too predictable. It's supposed to be the surprise play but it seems to be our go to option now and so defences are ready and rush accordingly.

Maybe we need to crash up a few times first to keep the defence honest..
Original Tetley
Vice-Captain

Not1eyed 15 Nov 2019 07:20 am said..

Exactly OT. Atkinson is a fine player as are all the Gloucester backs I just feel they’ve become predictable. Also when pack is struggling or on back foot for me best option is to send someone hard and straight up the middle to get back on front foot and get pack going forward. That could be MA, BTT, Harris or Thorley.
Not1eyed
Hall of Famer

King Prawn Bhuna 15 Nov 2019 08:31 am said..

Not1eyed wrote:Exactly OT. Atkinson is a fine player as are all the Gloucester backs I just feel they’ve become predictable. Also when pack is struggling or on back foot for me best option is to send someone hard and straight up the middle to get back on front foot and get pack going forward. That could be MA, BTT, Harris or Thorley.

I agree, so many times v Sarries Morgan was wasted out on the wing...he would have been better used in more of Billy Vunipola role running/crashing straight up the middle...
I'd love to agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong....
King Prawn Bhuna

Still Realistic 15 Nov 2019 09:50 am said..

Am I being thick here or isn't Mark Atkinson the biggest of of centres (certainly tallest) and the fact that he isn't crashing it up the middle therefore must be due to the fabled "gameplan"?
Ken Smith (once upon a time Mr Realistic)
Still Realistic
Hall of Famer

Steve M 15 Nov 2019 10:19 am said..

Still Realistic wrote:Am I being thick here or isn't Mark Atkinson the biggest of of centres (certainly tallest) and the fact that he isn't crashing it up the middle therefore must be due to the fabled "gameplan"?

Not only can he 'crash it up the middle' but I remember him having great hands to offload once he sucked in tacklers as well.
The only problem with doing nothing is not knowing when you have finished.
Steve M
Hall of Famer

LegendoftAutostrada 15 Nov 2019 10:29 am said..

Steve M wrote:
Still Realistic wrote:Am I being thick here or isn't Mark Atkinson the biggest of of centres (certainly tallest) and the fact that he isn't crashing it up the middle therefore must be due to the fabled "gameplan"?

Not only can he 'crash it up the middle' but I remember him having great hands to offload once he sucked in tacklers as well.

The bonus point try against Wasps came in exactly that manner. Atkinson through the middle, offload to Morgan, quick recycle and Marshall in at the corner.
LegendoftAutostrada
First team regular

steckers 15 Nov 2019 14:21 pm said..

I don't disagree about the use of the crash ball from 12 (or any other player popping up there) but its hard to establish that with slow ball. And there was no quick ball last week. Even Manu is going to struggle to break the gain line if he is being tackled man& ball.
steckers
Hall of Famer

DieTrying 15 Nov 2019 18:06 pm said..

Byron Hayward, ex of this parish, becomes the Welxh Defence Coach.
aka John Neary
DieTrying

Beddis 16 Nov 2019 23:12 pm said..

Justin Tipuric to Bristol
Beddis
Posts: 4386  Location: Malahide, Co Dublin. Formerly Lydney
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby