Rumours

Re: Rumours

ryno_chelt 24 May 2018 09:56 am said..

Agreed Baz, same goes for Alex Craig and Tom Seabrook - potential first team signings coming...
ryno_chelt
Hero in the making

Biffo 24 May 2018 10:00 am said..

Baz wrote:For those still concerned, Polledri is not listed in the academy either so must be off? :D Young South African flyhalf in to the academy too.

Why would Polledri still be an academy player given that he's now an established first team and also full international player.
Biffo
On the board

Harrison26 24 May 2018 13:00 pm said..

Baz wrote:Walker and Mullis continuing in the Academy for 18/19 so it would look like another hooker will come in? No problem using an academy hooker in the first team but I'm surprised that at least one of them hasn't been promoted to first team status.
For those still concerned, Polledri is not listed in the academy either so must be off? :D Young South African flyhalf in to the academy too.

Could it be that they are still listed as academy players in order to get some additional signings elsewhere due to to the salary cap? I don’t think the management are stupid enough to get another hooker in to the senior squad as one, if not both, of these guys would inevitably leave...

Plus, they’re clearly both capable as they’re are England u20 hookers
Harrison26
First team regular

SirHenry 24 May 2018 13:08 pm said..

I would be perfectly comfortable to have Mullis or Walker on the bench for a number of games but what happens if one of your 2 senior hookers picks up a 3-6 month injury? Do you overload the other senior player or do you then throw Walker and Mullis into the starting berth in big games?

A relatively cheap but grizzled senior player would give the coaching staff more flexibility to introduce Joe and Henry to their own timetable rather than being forced into it.

The alternative is to try to get a short term loan should an injury occur.
The frightening thing is not dying, the frightening thing is not living
SirHenry
On the board

Castle Grim Reaper 24 May 2018 13:13 pm said..

Harrison26 wrote:Could it be that they are still listed as academy players in order to get some additional signings elsewhere due to to the salary cap?

Unfortunately I don't think you can do that, if you could we would have signed Cipriani and Kriel as academy players :?
Castle Grim Reaper
Hall of Famer

Steve M 24 May 2018 13:45 pm said..

SirHenry wrote:I would be perfectly comfortable to have Mullis or Walker on the bench for a number of games but what happens if one of your 2 senior hookers picks up a 3-6 month injury? Do you overload the other senior player or do you then throw Walker and Mullis into the starting berth in big games?

A relatively cheap but grizzled senior player would give the coaching staff more flexibility to introduce Joe and Henry to their own timetable rather than being forced into it.

The alternative is to try to get a short term loan should an injury occur.

Isnt that just what we did with Polledri and that didn't turn out too bad ...
The only problem with doing nothing is not knowing when you have finished.
Steve M
On the board

SirHenry 24 May 2018 15:47 pm said..

and yet we finished 7th ... I would say Polledri is pretty exceptional in how he took to 1st team rugby. There are plenty of examples where others have not (not just at Glaws).

I'm happy if the club "suck it and see" as long as they have a Plan B.
The frightening thing is not dying, the frightening thing is not living
SirHenry
On the board

Baz 24 May 2018 15:49 pm said..

Biffo wrote:
Baz wrote:For those still concerned, Polledri is not listed in the academy either so must be off? :D Young South African flyhalf in to the academy too.

Why would Polledri still be an academy player given that he's now an established first team and also full international player.

Sorry Biffo, it was a bit of sarcastic humour. I am well aware of Jake's position in the squad, as per my post over a month ago. Posters were asking then if he had a new contract.

Baz 16 Apr 2018 23:16 pm said..
Jake signed a 3 year academy contract. He is still listed in the academy but will be listed in the first team next season. Jake WILL NOT be on the same contract as he is on this season, as befits an International player
Baz
Hall of Famer

MrGlawsRocker 24 May 2018 16:42 pm said..

Not really wanting to cause a fuss hes and amazing player but its weird you hear Polledri mentioned of a good example out of the academy of what can happen given if given chance etc, lets be honest very much an exception to the rule im sure that someone on here or the web can give a statistic of all that goes through our Academy how many have done what Polledri has and kept at that level or even moved on and done similar?
In Ackermann we Trust.
MrGlawsRocker
On the board

HKC 24 May 2018 16:48 pm said..

SirHenry wrote:and yet we finished 7th ... I would say Polledri is pretty exceptional in how he took to 1st team rugby. There are plenty of examples where others have not (not just at Glaws).

I'm happy if the club "suck it and see" as long as they have a Plan B.

He is exceptional and for me the reason for this is because he spent 2 years playing solidly for Hartpury and not 2 years holding a tackle bag with the odd dual-registered and A league game. It's definitely a big issue at that level that young players simply don't play enough games.
HKC
On the board
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby