Henry Purdy

Re: Henry Purdy

Gb83 18 Feb 2020 19:34 pm said..

HalsallHarry wrote:Not judging any of these great players.
The relevant point is, does Glos encourage young players with potential? They all made England U20s so they couldn’t have been too shabby. Glos don’t develop. Plus they’ve all done good after leaving. Purdy always underated. Ripping it up at Bris. Does Glos create the environment to convince a player not to go and that he’ll get his fair chance. Understand there are always ‘other’ reasons why players move on but surely big success comes from development.

I’d say that we do, we’ve had the biggest international representation for ages.

Polledri now one of the best back rows there is
Zammit making the wider Wales squad in his 1st professional season
Thorley in the wider 6 nations squad, you’d hope he gets a chance soon.
Craig making the Scotland squad

Plus Heinz and Braley now established 6 nations players.

Purdy was good for us but I think most are happier retaining Zammit. Let’s not get too carried away with Purdy just yet, it’s only been a handful of games.
Gb83
Hall of Famer

Not1eyed 18 Feb 2020 22:11 pm said..

Personally I’m not sure if the hype round Polledri. Great ball carrier but being a great back row player involves so much more. Can’t help but wonder if he’s “1 of the best back row players there is” why he doesn’t start for Gloucester?
I’d like to see more of Freddie Clark, possibly Ruan at 8 too.
Not1eyed
Hall of Famer

Gb83 18 Feb 2020 22:24 pm said..

Not1eyed wrote:Personally I’m not sure if the hype round Polledri. Great ball carrier but being a great back row player involves so much more. Can’t help but wonder if he’s “1 of the best back row players there is” why he doesn’t start for Gloucester?

I think Polledri is way more than carrying, his tackle rate is high for Italy. Ackermann senior said post world cup he’s been carrying a shoulder injury and now impacted by 6 nations, that’s the reason we haven’t seen him so much.

I’d like to see Polledri 7, Ackermann 8 and Clarke 6. Ludlow has got better but I think the opposition would rather see Polledri on the bench than starting.
Gb83
Hall of Famer

ryno_chelt 19 Feb 2020 06:15 am said..

Not1eyed wrote:Personally I’m not sure if the hype round Polledri. Great ball carrier but being a great back row player involves so much more. Can’t help but wonder if he’s “1 of the best back row players there is” why he doesn’t start for Gloucester?

I think Polledri is on of our if not the best players.

Stat wise, he is consistently the standout back row in the premiership and also in the World Cup (and therefore world), tackles, carriers, defenders beaten. He is genuine world class in my opinion.
ryno_chelt
On the board

Lurker 19 Feb 2020 06:56 am said..

I always feel Poledri looks casual and maybe even lazy in the way he plays. But when you really watch him closely, his timing and tackling technique is excellent and he positions himself well. He often steals at rucks but also doesn’t commit when the odds of winning the ball are slim. His obvious skill going forward is freakishly awesome. I sometimes think he could get more involved in some games he starts - then he will do something brilliant; usually smash his way through numbers of opposition defence.
He is a wonderful player and glad JA is managing his fitness.
Lurker
Hall of Famer

Jacko 19 Feb 2020 08:48 am said..

Would anyone fancy Jake as a No.8 in the coming seasons? His pace and ball carrying ability make him so dangerous in attack, but he also has a ever developing 'cultured' element of his game perhaps from working with a Mr Parisse… i'd love to see him pack down at the tail of the scrum!
Jacko
Turns out for the A team

theoptimist 19 Feb 2020 09:03 am said..

Agree re. Polledri. An awesome player. Don’t forget that key to a back-row is balance. I wouldn’t mind seeing Clarke, Polledri and Ackerman at 8. Morgan is class mind and does a huge amount of work. When VRR starts he adds another dimension over the ball that is lacking following Kriel’s departure.

Glos bring plenty of young players on and up but the reality of the salary cap means that they can’t all be kept. For a player in any academy there are more senior contracts to be secured at the 11 other prem clubs than there are at their own.

In the match day 23 you might still see plenty of Hartpury / academy products: Knight, Seville, Craig, Polledri, Clarke, Ludlow, Braley, Evans, Trinder, Thorley, LRZ. Then there are those waiting in the wings... Walker, Hinckley, Chapman etc.

Hinckley is an interesting one. He really does look like an outstanding player but then every week Shedweb is debating how best to apportion our wealth of back-row talent. Hopefully the departure of Kriel will see an opportunity for his future to be secured by the club.

Yes, a number of promising young players have left and gone on to better things, and good on them. Others have moved on and not quite made it. A good academy should do exactly that. Create a surplus of players from whom those that are playing particularly well, or those that get the opportunity to make a mark (like LRZ this season) secure senior contracts.
theoptimist
Hero in the making

stuartjames 19 Feb 2020 14:47 pm said..

Purdy signs two year deal with Bristol after joining on short-term deal
stuartjames
Hall of Famer
Previous

Return to Gloucester Rugby