Henry Purdy

Re: Henry Purdy

Jimbodini 16 Feb 2020 18:03 pm said..

No noteworthy pace? Purdue is far from slow as his try today showed!
Jimbodini
Vice-Captain

Gloucester Mute 16 Feb 2020 18:11 pm said..

Should have been a penalty try IMHO. I guess it has to be in all probability/unless for the foul play and Mallinder was standing on the line so "might" have stopped him. Joyce would have been over the line at that pace and with that bulk.

Likewise I think GRFC were very. very fortunate to get LRZ's score on Friday. The TMO and AR's were doing their best to convince the ref to disallow it. Maybe he enjoys his beers with the lads in the Montpellier Wine Bar too much !! ;)
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Posts: 1874  Location: Dursley - At the heart of the County
Gloucester Mute
Hall of Famer

steckers 16 Feb 2020 18:35 pm said..

As wingers go, his pace is functional but certainly not noteworthy
steckers
Hall of Famer

Severus 17 Feb 2020 08:02 am said..

Legendoft'Autostrada wrote:
upton dc wrote:How on earth did Northampton manage to lose that game? Bristol played like Gloucester (away) in the first half and deserved to be well behind on the scoreboard. Then in the second half, something happened. That something was Pat Lam, who in my mind orchestrated a masterclass of coaching and leadership at half time. Suddenly, Bristol started playing like Gloucester at their best. I know they needed to take risks but their resurgent attacking style really paid off. Well done Bristol.

And Northampton went into their shell; their only plan was to give it to the big winger and see if he could burst through. Bristol very unfortunate not to be awarded a penalty try.

That non penalty try decision was interesting. The ref said that because Mallinder was there he couldn’t award a penalty try. However there was no way he would’ve stopped a try being scored given the pace that the attacker was moving at. I know the refs are told that if there is a defender in a position to attempt a tackle it isn’t a PT, however the laws state that a PT is awarded if a try probably would’ve been scored. I think the ref got it wrong.
Severus
Hall of Famer

theoptimist 17 Feb 2020 10:52 am said..

I imagine it’s because refs would rather deal in facts rather than making educated guesses / having subjective opinion.

Mallinder was there...thus could have made a tackle...

The sensible (and IMHO correct) opinion that he wouldn’t have been able to effect a tackle that prevented a try is exactly that, an opinion / educated guesswork and not fact.

I’m happy with refs taking this point of view as long as it’s consistent. Can you imagine the difficulties once refs have to start considering the size of the players, their pace, direction, height, momentum, ability to step, tackling ability, likelihood of doing a Burns/Hogg special ... it would be nightmarish and certainly not consistent!

If a try probably would have been scored then there’s still a chance that it might not have been. Mallinder’s presence was enough to put that doubt in the ref’s mind. Fair enough to me as long as this is a consistent view for all prem refs.
theoptimist
Hero in the making

steckers 17 Feb 2020 11:21 am said..

Agreed, the ref got it right.
steckers
Hall of Famer

coleser 17 Feb 2020 11:25 am said..

“Maybe he enjoys his beers with the lads in the Montpellier Wine Bar too much !!”

Care to explain?
coleser
Hero in the making

Sky blue 17 Feb 2020 12:20 pm said..

He’s a troll. Don’t feed him.
Sky blue
Hall of Famer

Severus 17 Feb 2020 12:35 pm said..

theoptimist wrote:I imagine it’s because refs would rather deal in facts rather than making educated guesses / having subjective opinion.

Mallinder was there...thus could have made a tackle...

The sensible (and IMHO correct) opinion that he wouldn’t have been able to effect a tackle that prevented a try is exactly that, an opinion / educated guesswork and not fact.

I’m happy with refs taking this point of view as long as it’s consistent. Can you imagine the difficulties once refs have to start considering the size of the players, their pace, direction, height, momentum, ability to step, tackling ability, likelihood of doing a Burns/Hogg special ... it would be nightmarish and certainly not consistent!

If a try probably would have been scored then there’s still a chance that it might not have been. Mallinder’s presence was enough to put that doubt in the ref’s mind. Fair enough to me as long as this is a consistent view for all prem refs.

Agree with all of that interpretation, the problem is that it doesn't follow the wording of the law. The laws requires changing or at least some clarification (or simply removing altogether).
Severus
Hall of Famer

Davers 17 Feb 2020 13:27 pm said..

Why doesn't it follow the wording of the law?

The referee made a judgement that the try probably wouldn't have been scored; that sounds exactly like the wording of the law.
Davers
Senior squad member
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby