Forum abuse

Re: Forum abuse

carterb121 16 Feb 2020 13:19 pm said..

Just seen the horrendous tweet aimed at Danny and the subsequent response from Lance and Cips himself. Danny is clearly in a horrendous place right now and think it’s a completely relevant thread, and not disrespectful at all. Imagine if Danny came on Shedweb and saw what some of these threads have become. The club and fans must support him and I’m sure they will, but I hope going forwards everyone on social media think about the actions of their words
carterb121
Vice-Captain

colinboag 16 Feb 2020 13:25 pm said..

I too saw that utterly shameful tweet . Unpleasant beyond belief.
Cherchez la truffe
colinboag
Hall of Famer

ShedOrDead 16 Feb 2020 13:45 pm said..

I assume this is the Mike Parry one?

I am absolutely with Cips on the this. The media are ruthless and utterly uncaring in how they spin stories to sell content and they have played a part in this horrid, tragic circumstance I fear.

Parry is not on my radar, but his tweet does come across as the perfect combination of mean-spirited vindictiveness and self serving deflection (we the media are in no way responsible).

The worst of this though is that as right as Cips is it will change nothing. The Sun have merrily deleted a load of Articles about Ms Flack, people will still read them and the Mail and the Express and all these other rags and the world will carry on. The most hopeless end to an utterly sad story.

I hope her family get through this and from a Glaws perspective, I really hope Cips is alright.
ShedOrDead
Hall of Famer

MrGlawsRocker 16 Feb 2020 15:41 pm said..

Glen Sannox wrote:I posted it because Cips, who knew her, posted about her death. I've seen posts with much more tenuous links than that posted on here. Thankfully most people read it as it what it was and expressed sorrow about this horrific story.

Firstly ^ pretty bang on.

Secondly in a professional and personal position I deal with mental health issues and I need people to know that now, probably more than we could even imagine, mental health is a serious problem.

I have THICK skin but just the other day I had to remove myself from a discussion as it turned into two people needling each other due to the wide separation that has been created within society and a sadly a divorce from the reality in which people now live in. I kinda get why we've found echo chambers in which we find solace however everyone's lives through the years change and we as all need to listen and understand and that can be hard.

Cipriani and Flack have BOTH been at the sharp end of the reality of life that is quazi-celebrity reality & Sports stars. This leads to the most rediculous mix of tabloid intrusion, 24 hour news cycle, moronic comments from sport talk show hosts & trolling on social media (which is never ending just search on Twitter & Facebook).

We as public suffer needlessly every day with stress and daily issues but these guys do this with the sort of intrusion into their lives none of us would EVER welcome and I cannot imagine what that could be like.

I've actually personally had an attack from a group of trolls due to being zoned in on by a "far-right wing sweetheart" Holly F***er (not willing to give her the air time) I ended up muting hundreds of trolls for a month saying viscous things i wouldn't say to my worst enemy.

If these guys had that and the media and tabloid attention ending up with Flack taking her life, Cipriani, who was her partner as and then friend, has every right to call it out and instead of blasting him for speaking out take a moment and actually listen also remembering he is now in a moment of grieving.
In Ackermann we Trust.
MrGlawsRocker
Hall of Famer

Peanutcoxy 16 Feb 2020 16:09 pm said..

Wouldn’t the world be a much better place without social media. Problem is, the vast majority of us use it in some way. The owners just could care less about abuse as they continue to make vast amounts of money without taking any responsibility. Same for mainstream media; they police themselves for goodness sake, and only have one aim; make money
The older I get the faster I was
Peanutcoxy
Hall of Famer

ryno_chelt 16 Feb 2020 16:42 pm said..

Social media is an enabler, people can spread hate, make nasty comments, cause hurt.

But the solution isn’t stopping social media, it’s about being better people.
ryno_chelt
On the board

Clive's Pants 16 Feb 2020 17:02 pm said..

MrGlawsRocker - top post.
Clive's Pants
Hall of Famer

SpiralScratch 16 Feb 2020 17:05 pm said..

Just seen that tweet aimed at Danny - I knew social media could be unpleasant - but wow that's abysmal - I don't know how these people live with themselves
SpiralScratch
Hero in the making

theoptimist 16 Feb 2020 17:52 pm said..

SpiralScratch wrote:I don't know how these people live with themselves

Sadly, I think the reason why some live in a social media world is exactly because they can’t live with themselves.
theoptimist
Hero in the making

MrGlawsRocker 16 Feb 2020 21:52 pm said..

ryno_chelt wrote:Social media is an enabler, people can spread hate, make nasty comments, cause hurt.

But the solution isn’t stopping social media, it’s about being better people.

I actually agree hugely, I'd actually go as far as saying it's not social media but the internet as a whole.

The recent announcement by this Conservative Government re: policing the internet is CRAZY, I have studied this for a long time and the fact is long before social media there were chat rooms, forums and dark corners that spouted hateful bigotry and racism, although on a much lesser extent incredibly popular but if you wanted to join you HAD TO GO LOOKING.

As a side note we also need to remember circa 1990-2003 the internet was used less than today so it was not exactly user friendly, the advent of more companies giving cheaper deals and the advent of Google made usage and finding these sites grow on an exponential scale.

You can attack Twitter, YouTube and Facebook, you can maybe hit Reddit but now we're wholly international, VPN & Dark web will ultimately allow such activities like Trolling, grooming into gangs and far right and terrorist organisations continue however much we try to get s stranglehold. Although in some way I applaud them not allowing the perfect get in the way of the good.

We do need to remember the amount of good that social media has done for charity, movements and education. There are also hundreds of groups dedicated to helping people in similar situations, my wife for one has Multiple Sclerosis and talks to people with the diagnosis and helps those whom has just got the diagnosis. I too volunteer to help talk to those whom are going through the process of becoming carers of disabled people.

But all in all? The Internet is broken but so is tabloid and TV media, my sister did a masters and found that even the most "trustworthy" sources feed disinformation to the public, It falls to us to be wary of what we see and hear and to not be so quick to jump to conclusions and admit that if we pick up the tabloid newspaper we know we're feeding the media trolls.
In Ackermann we Trust.
MrGlawsRocker
Hall of Famer
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby