Local rugby news

Re: Local rugby news

Castle Grim Reaper 12 Sep 2014 09:57 am said..

When I was a lad I played for a side in Herefordshire who were in the North Midlands League, straight after the game we used to phone one of the big Birmingham papers and give them a long and detailed report.

We used to lie about the score, make up ridiculous names for the try scorers, all the usual silly things and nobody would be any the wiser as the paper wasn't available locally.

Towards the end of the season we found out that the Hereford Times copied all the relevant stories from the Birmingham paper and printed them later in the week in their local rugby round-up :oops:
Castle Grim Reaper
Hall of Famer

stevep 12 Sep 2014 10:25 am said..

I remember one season writing the reports for the Echo with the aim of getting everyone's name in it.I was
ok for a few weeks then I noticed it was getting shortened and the names were being "changed" to ,shall
we say,slightly offensive versions.I got the point and changed my style but I am proud to have the following
printed;"North won the game despite the idiosyncratic interpretations of Rugby's laws by the M****y RFC
Committee member,including asking the winger if he had scored because he (the ref) couldn't see as he was
" too far away'." Later when asked why he gave the try he said the lad wouldn't lie as he was his nephew !!
Love the good old days :lol:
stevep
Vice-Captain

Gloucester Mute 12 Sep 2014 14:17 pm said..

I believe OP's 2's won the Chelt Comb Senior Cup whilst Cirencester won the Senior and Minor Stroud Cups, Stroud 2's the Junior Cup and Cainscross the Junior Plate.

Maybe Combinations should put Cup results on County web-site.

All County League results are on RFU web-site and Merit Table ones on County web-site.
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Posts: 1688  Location: Dursley - At the heart of the County
Gloucester Mute
Hall of Famer

Django Unchained 12 Sep 2014 16:15 pm said..

A decent league results service including merit tables appears in TRP.
Run at the spaces, not at the faces!
Django Unchained
Vice-Captain

Gloucester Mute 12 Sep 2014 17:44 pm said..

Not the local Merit Tables Django.........
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Posts: 1688  Location: Dursley - At the heart of the County
Gloucester Mute
Hall of Famer

Django Unchained 12 Sep 2014 18:13 pm said..

GM last year they had league tables down to Gloucester Division three level and similar around the country, I'm not sure what tables were missing.
Django Unchained
Vice-Captain

Number10 13 Sep 2014 10:28 am said..

Django Unchained wrote:GM last year they had league tables down to Gloucester Division three level and similar around the country, I'm not sure what tables were missing.

The merit tables are the leagues that the seconds team play in.
Number10
Hall of Famer

Django Unchained 13 Sep 2014 19:19 pm said..

Number10 wrote:
Django Unchained wrote:GM last year they had league tables down to Gloucester Division three level and similar around the country, I'm not sure what tables were missing.

The merit tables are the leagues that the seconds team play in.

Thanks Number 10, I knew there were second team leagues but didn't realise they were called Merit Tables, that's like the old days. That being the case TRP definitely don't do Merit Tables, my mistake.
Django Unchained
Vice-Captain

Tj36 13 Sep 2014 19:42 pm said..

All the local first team results are on North Gloucester Rugby Combination Pitchero site, usually by 7.00 Saturday nights.
Tj36
Vice-Captain

Rugby Roamer 13 Sep 2014 19:48 pm said..

All results are on the RFU site you need to be registered which is easy to do . Click on fixtures and results you can navigate to any league and see latest results and tables. Re merit tables no fixtures are shown for the Glos. reserve league though the final scores from last season are showing.
Rugby Roamer
Turns out for the A team
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby