World 10's in Bermuda

World 10's in Bermuda

26 Oct 2020 14:47 pm:

I've been watching this over yesterday and to-day and it has some interesting Law changes:

Rolling Subs
Pen & DG only 2pts
Conversion jeopardy: 1-5 points depending on how far out you take it.
A Captains challenge, in case the Officials miss something when the Opposition score a try.
A Time out.
All restarts from a Tee not a drop.

Entertaining and last session to day in about 30 mins: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMQSvmG2FE0
aka John Neary

Re: World 10's in Bermuda

26 Oct 2020 14:53 pm:

just started even
aka John Neary
Hall of Famer

26 Oct 2020 15:18 pm:

Any reason why ?? Novelty I assume. Therefore no need.
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!

26 Oct 2020 15:21 pm:

Gloucester Mute wrote:Any reason why ?? Novelty I assume. Therefore no need.

The captains challenge has been proved correct in a few instances. The Conversion Jeopardy is entertaining, especially if it's a tight game.
aka John Neary

26 Oct 2020 16:03 pm:

Interestingly JP Doyle is one of the Officials. A few weeks in Bermuda is a nice place to contemplate your future. :D
aka John Neary
Vice-Captain

26 Oct 2020 22:11 pm:

Nice but darn high living costs over there :shock:

26 Oct 2020 23:01 pm:

I found it entertaining to watch, with some games more like 7's and others more like 15's. The "gimmicks" were surprisingly good. The Captains Challenge is interesting and on a few occasions the Officials missed an issue that would have stopped the try being awarded. The challenge picks those up and the try was disallowed. Similar to the review in cricket. Each Team only gets one and it can only be used if the opposition score a Try and can only go back two phases of play. Get it right and you keep it, but a wrong call and it's gone. Conversion jeopardy is a cracker and proved pivotal in the last game between the 2 unbeaten Teams. London Royals, mainly Eng 7's, were leading 6-0, 1 Try and a 1 pt Con, with 12 secs to go. The Rhinos an invitational Team, powered their way down the field, 15's style, got the Try and in the howling wind and rain the kicker went for the 2 pt Con from the 22 off centre and nailed it for a 6-7 Win. Restarts from a Tee are "interesting. I like 7's so I enjoyed it. purist might not, but Glos did win the Worthington 10's back in the day. rugby needs to attract Supporters & this hybrid format will do that. I believe there's more next weekend. Watch it and you never know you might like it. PS: Samurai supply all the Kits and I wish they were doing ours, they have flair.
aka John Neary
Vice-Captain

27 Oct 2020 06:55 am:

Loved 10s as a player - more than 15s, takes away the completely skewed nature of modern game where tight heads are many times more valuable than full backs....

Don’t agree with kicking jeopardy though... incentivises adding a “Francois steyn” just for the kicking
Hall of Famer

27 Oct 2020 07:42 am:

Gimicky entertainment on Pay TV won't help attract new players/supporters.

That may come this Sat on terrestial TV...........
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Hall of Famer

27 Oct 2020 07:51 am:

Was surprised when BT announced they had C500k view the premiership final live on Saturday, I wasn’t expecting 10’s of millions but thought it would be higher than that.
Next

Return to Gloucester Rugby