TV Coverage

TV Coverage

Saxon Warrior 15 May 2019 23:09 pm said..

Apologies up front for those expecting a positive post!

Despite the move from Sky to BT some time ago my faith in televised matches continues to be at best disappointed, at worst angry. Why would I continue to believe (even though I give them the same chance to redeem themselves each week) the promise that BT would screen more live matches than ever before! I think Channel 5 are coming close to beating them!

Yes - I am biased

Yes - I do want to see Gloucester games above any other (who doesn’t)

Yes - I do think the televised choices sway public opinion, and definitely that of the press brigade that report (often inaccurately) on how good that weekends ‘star players’ were. Because they were the only ones they could watch from their sofa whilst shoving nachos and gin into their lazy faces!

So, do I renew my BT subscription? Rugby is the only reason I have a BT subscription, and no (sadly for all those that will shout at me to be a real supporter and get to the ground on match day with my season ticket, it’s not an option, and I’m not going to explain why as that is my business)

It seems to me that if they could show as much live rugby (even on a red button!) as they do editions and the-runs of the Austin’s Healy and Ben Kay Saracens Love-In show then the parity against what BT offered to shush Stuart Barnes May be worth the renewal. If not, I think I might be continuing to shizzle out spoilerss and wait until Monday so I can watch the full match replay on Premiership TV online.

The whole reason for my post/rant I suppose is that I am amazingly disappointed that all matches in this final weekend are not being aired live on TV somewhere. Only two matches on BT Sports, none on Terrestrial but all on Bet 365! Hmmmm, Money talks I suppose!

And as an aside did anyone see the mainstream news coverage of Saracens being European Champions? Nope, me neither.... but as long as they managed to squeeze in a league 4 Wendy-ball story everything is alright!

End-of-rant!
Saxon Warrior
Turns out for the A team

Re: TV Coverage

Glen Sannox 15 May 2019 23:31 pm said..

My perception is that Glaws have featured a lot this season - probably because they're playing more attractive rugby

Oh, and by the way, Sarries win featured heavily on the Beeb and on Sky...of course they were rightly limited in what they could show...maybe you were watching Fox News?
Cherchez la truffe
Glen Sannox
Hall of Famer

Number10 16 May 2019 04:50 am said..

Um I completely disagree. I think bt cover the games excellently. At least 3 games on every premiership weekend. I dont think it would be possible/cost effective to show every game Saturday. I dont think every premier league football game was available to watch last weekend on sky?
Number10
Hall of Famer

Wilkosam 16 May 2019 05:52 am said..

Got to say I respectfully disagree. I can't remember a previous season where I've been able to watch as many Gloucester games on TV. I find the coverage pretty good, Nick Mullins is excellent, some of the others have their pros and cons. There is a bit of a love in for the best teams but this is true across all sports.

As for Saracens coverage in MSM, there were at least 5 articles in the Telegraph over the following few days, cant speak for other outlets though.
Wilkosam
Vice-Captain

Ken Burney 16 May 2019 06:19 am said..

The Times and Sunday Times had plenty of in-depth coverage.
Ken Burney
Hall of Famer

foresterinyorks 16 May 2019 06:44 am said..

Like others, I have to say I disagree. The coverage of Gloucester matches has been quite good this year.
Never Stay Down.
foresterinyorks
Hall of Famer

colburgess 16 May 2019 07:13 am said..

How do I get the Bet 365 coverage?
What's it like?
colburgess
On a trial

Sheddy Mcshedface 16 May 2019 07:17 am said..

Firstly a general rule for the internet, If you end a post by stating that you are ranting then don't be surprised when no one takes you seriously!

As others have said Gloucester have featured on TV on several occasions. With a BT subscription this season you will have been able to see us play Bath home and away (the home game was on Channel 5), beat Sarries and Exeter at home on consecutive weekends, all our Heineken cup matches, the fantastic recent wins over Quins and Saints and probably a few other games that don't come to mind.

Frankly it would have been worth it just to see Ollie Thorley try against Leicester.
Sheddy Mcshedface
Hall of Famer

Senor Cerebro 16 May 2019 07:33 am said..

I agree that BTs coverage has been excellent this season. Three live games per weekend. Extensive European live coverage. I don't always agree with their expert opinions but that's not a problem.
However, I am disappointed that they have pushed kick off time back to 4 o'clock on Saturday thus creating a clash with the FA Cup Final which I would like to watch as well.
Senor Cerebro
On a trial

Clive's Pants 16 May 2019 07:42 am said..

Any statos out there with a spare hour? My perception is also that Glawster have featured more than average - particularly at home.
Clive's Pants
On the board
Next

Return to Gloucester Rugby