COVID- 19

Hall of Famer

COVID- 19

25 Feb 2020 23:13 pm:

So far ( as I am sure we are all now aware of ) four of the British "evacuees" who landed back in Britain from Japan on Saturday have tested positive for COVID-19, taking the number of UK cases to 13.

What do people think about the apparent decision to allow the " evacuees" from Japan to share a flight with many fellow British ( and I believe some Irish ) travellers back to the UK, without allegedly having confirmation of any test results for the virus ?.

Re: COVID- 19

25 Feb 2020 23:55 pm:

They'd showed no signs, unlike the couple who had, and were hospitalised in Japan. Conspiracy theories are not needed at this time. It's a bit like the Irish health minister to-day saying that the 6N's game v Italy in two weeks be cancelled, but won't stop flights from Italy. Go figure.
aka John Neary
Hero in the making

26 Feb 2020 09:29 am:

I think one problem is that they have only recently realised that the incubation period is 24 days and not 14 as originally thought.
Hall of Famer

28 Feb 2020 15:07 pm:

DieTrying wrote:They'd showed no signs, unlike the couple who had, and were hospitalised in Japan. Conspiracy theories are not needed at this time. It's a bit like the Irish health minister to-day saying that the 6N's game v Italy in two weeks be cancelled, but won't stop flights from Italy. Go figure.

The " experts " are now suggesting the incubation period could be much longer than initially suggested; I have read as long as 24 days !. Don't think anyone is suggesting conspiracy theories at all. The harsh reality is that this is happening and there have been some legitimate questions on how things are and have been handled in some quarters.

Today it has been confirmed that a person has been diagnosed + in South Wales, and this further concentrates the mind of how close we all are to the spread of it. Another worrying development is the case of a Japanese woman who was diagnosed + and then recovered to now only contract the virus again .
Hall of Famer

28 Feb 2020 20:14 pm:

South Wales? Try travelling on the tube each day. One case and hundreds of thousands get exposed.
Hall of Famer

28 Feb 2020 20:23 pm:

lovejoy wrote:South Wales? Try travelling on the tube each day. One case and hundreds of thousands get exposed.

TBF if you are commuting on the tube everyday then death by coronavirus probably seems like a reasonable alternative! :lol:
Keyser Sose
Hall of Famer

29 Feb 2020 17:35 pm:

Sheddy Mcshedface wrote:
lovejoy wrote:South Wales? Try travelling on the tube each day. One case and hundreds of thousands get exposed.

TBF if you are commuting on the tube everyday then death by coronavirus probably seems like a reasonable alternative! :lol:

Sometimes we have to make light of things as it's part of surviving difficult times Sheddy ) ; but this is not joking matter and I am sure you didn't intend it to be. The situation has enormous potential to impact life at all levels. My father has been fighting cancer for four months at 82 years of age.

The Covid-19 is a threat to him and those in similar situations . It threatens every part of our lives and infrastructure and it's not flu. Its 10 x more " deadly" . The potential impact even extends to clubs like ours who are probably on the edge of being financially stretched. Imagine having to sustain hefty wage bills IF it the government decide that public gatherings are banned ??.
Hall of Famer

29 Feb 2020 21:19 pm:

It would be interesting to compare the figures to those that die from flu. Then to look at the immune system of each person. One thing for sure, whoever creates a vaccine or medicine will be the next nobel prize winner

29 Feb 2020 21:50 pm:

For those that are interested, continually updating Stats:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
aka John Neary
Hall of Famer

01 Mar 2020 16:26 pm:

Interestingly around 3,000 people have died from the virus, in comparison to 56,000 that die from flu or flu like symptoms. Although hunger symptoms takes around 9.1 million per year.
Next

Return to COVID-19 Support