O / T: The Politics Show. ( Keep it polite )

Re: O / T: The Politics Show. ( Keep it polite )

lovejoy 02 Jan 2020 21:39 pm said..

By loophole you mean British law? Isn’t this law the sovereignty Brexit is supposed to deliver? It’s strange that it’s only good when it supports your case.
lovejoy
On the board

Lewi7 06 Jan 2020 15:29 pm said..

Incorrect - we saw the Supreme Court in action prior to the election, using EU / ECJ Law. Therefore, removing certain aspects prevents Gina Miller, Blair & Soros bringing action through the Courts.

A number of hearings were held under UK law, which upheld the Government's position, the Supreme Court based their decision on EU Law and found against the Gov, albeit they said the Gov hadn't broken the Law.

On the Supreme Court, which was created by Blair in 2009, many of the judges have served or worked in the EU; many continue to receive a stipend from the EU; they are governed by EU law.
Posts: 3806  Location: Back in the 'Shire, how long for I wonder ?
Lewi7

lovejoy 07 Jan 2020 07:38 am said..

That’s a very disingenuous interpretation over what happened. The Supreme Court is the final court of appeal in the UK, for UK law.
Proroguing Parliament was found to be unlawful because it had the effect of frustrating Parliament’s ability to carry out its functions without reasonable justification. UK sovereignty was being subverted. Quite how you can interpret this as having not broken the law is beyond me.

The ruling was unanimous.

You suggest that judges are on the EU stipend and to be honest I think this anecdotal nudge, nudge suggestion of influence is beneath you. It’s very Daily Mail. Even if this trivial logic was correct surely as the majority of the judges earnings are from the UK would “bias” them in that direction? But this is nonsense of course. Throwing mud at people is the easier answer.
lovejoy
On the board

Gloucester Mute 07 Jan 2020 16:07 pm said..

Wow - aren't bad losers who bang on and on after the decision goes against them annoying ??

It's what a democracy is about. Suck it up...….
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Posts: 1849  Location: Dursley - At the heart of the County
Gloucester Mute
Hall of Famer

Lewi7 07 Jan 2020 18:01 pm said..

Lovejoy, the Supreme Court's ruling was that the Gov had not broken the law, which they applied EU Law to the hearing. Other UK Court hearings, around the UK, applying UK law dismissed the action being brought.

The factual record is clear, 9 of the 12 Supreme Court judges are in receipt of stipend or other payment from the EU. One of the judges was a significant contributor to writing article 50 for example. Contractually, if one is in receipt of payment from the EU then you are obliged to support it. Many of the judges have also prior to & since the hearing expressed their personal views, expressing their support for the EU - all the above is fact & can be found if you look for it & nothing to do with any newspaper.

In the UK Sovereignty resides with the people over & above the elected parliament; the then Speaker acted ultra vires, leading to a resounding victory for the Tory party. On this I agree with Mute, I'm surprised you've not asked for Gloucester defeats to be replayed over & over, until we win.
Lewi7

Gloucester Mute 07 Jan 2020 18:39 pm said..

"Defeats" ??

They aren't defeats. Gloucester and Wales can concede more points in a match to their opposition BUT they are never defeated or losses and there are always clear explanations for why the registered result is not actually right !! ;)

Corbyn still maintains that Labour won the "campaign" victory at the last Election. :roll: :roll: :roll: God forbid if Corby, McDonnell and Unite's candidate comes good in the Labour Leadership Election BUT I guess it would mean at least 10 years of Tory majority Government !!
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Gloucester Mute
Hall of Famer

Lewi7 07 Jan 2020 19:56 pm said..

Yes, but we sort of except the result, we don't ask for matches to be replayed and we move on ;) :lol:
Lewi7

Gloucester Mute 08 Jan 2020 00:03 am said..

Ha ha !! ;)
Gloucester Mute
Hall of Famer

lovejoy 08 Jan 2020 12:02 pm said..

The sporting analogy doesn't really work on a number of levels. Glos lose, we play again the following week, we aren't personally impacted by in in terms of financially or our ability to travel and it only impacts those who chose the club. Also if you come on Shedweb after a defeat and look at the posts you would often find a lot of criticism of the referee. If Brexit delivers what has been promised (better trade deals, money to NHS, Turkey joining EU) then I have no argument. If the reality is different or it turns out lies have been told, then surely a vote based on the reality is democracy?
In fact if the impact of Brexit (either positive or negative) could be allocated to Brexit voters and not everyone then I'd also be for it.
lovejoy
On the board

Castle Grim Reaper 08 Jan 2020 14:05 pm said..

lovejoy wrote:If Brexit delivers what has been promised (better trade deals, money to NHS, Turkey joining EU) then I have no argument. If the reality is different or it turns out lies have been told, then surely a vote based on the reality is democracy?

If that had been properly applied, we would most likely have left the EU by 1980 :roll:
Castle Grim Reaper
Hall of Famer
PreviousNext

Return to Not Rugby