O/T - General Politics thread

Hall of Famer

Re: O/T - General Politics thread

27 Nov 2020 11:21 am:

DieTrying wrote:
Severus wrote:The Covid tier regions don't seem to make sense. For example, Lancaster has a lower infection rate and faster rate of decrease than London yet is in tier 3 whereas London is in tier 2.

Five key indicators form the basis of the criteria that the government has used to decide which locations are in which tiers:

Case detection rates in all age groups.
Case detection rates in the over-60s.
The rate at which cases are rising or falling.
The number of positive cases detected as a percentage of tests taken, known as positivity rate.
Pressure on the NHS.

Thanks. You've forgotten the main one, is the region in the north?
Hall of Famer

27 Nov 2020 12:11 pm:

The bizarre one for me is Slough. Whereas everywhere else seems to be tiered by region (eg Bristol includes a chunk to the north and south of the city, the Medway towns include the much lower county of Kent), Slough is on its own, the rest of Berkshire stays in tier 2, even nearby Windsor. Wonder who lives there?
Hall of Famer

27 Nov 2020 17:10 pm:

God this site can be a yawn. Moan, moan moan.......... :roll: :roll:
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Hall of Famer

27 Nov 2020 18:03 pm:

lucifer wrote:The bizarre one for me is Slough. Whereas everywhere else seems to be tiered by region (eg Bristol includes a chunk to the north and south of the city, the Medway towns include the much lower county of Kent), Slough is on its own, the rest of Berkshire stays in tier 2, even nearby Windsor. Wonder who lives there?

Perhaps Slough Comprehensive School is the reason rather than Windsor? ;)
Hall of Famer

27 Nov 2020 21:09 pm:

Severus wrote:
DieTrying wrote:
Five key indicators form the basis of the criteria that the government has used to decide which locations are in which tiers:

Case detection rates in all age groups.
Case detection rates in the over-60s.
The rate at which cases are rising or falling.
The number of positive cases detected as a percentage of tests taken, known as positivity rate.
Pressure on the NHS.

Thanks. You've forgotten the main one, is the region in the north?

Chips on shoulders is also a category apparently.
Hall of Famer

29 Nov 2020 08:43 am:

lovejoy wrote:Chips on shoulders is also a category apparently.

Never really understood the chippy northerner thing until I lived up here.
Hall of Famer

05 Dec 2020 19:47 pm:

There’s a story in the Mail I think tomorrow which says something on the lines of “it’s enough to make you choke in your sangria. From 1 January half a million Brits can only stay in their holiday homes for a maximum of 90 days at a time... for these families their dreams have turned to dust.”

We’ll lie to you about how awful the EU are, well tell you to ignore negative stories as fake news/project fear, will touch on your xenophobia and encourage you to vote Brexit but when the issues raised are suddenly realised we’ll do an outcry piece on drams turned to dust.

Are people really that thick they fall for this bull crap?

My prediction - this will be blamed on “EU bullies” and our response should be “we weren’t bullied during the war and we won’t be bullied now”.
Last edited by lovejoy on 07 Dec 2020 09:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hall of Famer

06 Dec 2020 12:18 pm:

Getting a good Brexit deal for Britain was doomed from the beginning with a Frenchman heading the EU negotiations. This afternoon's match might mean more than just the result.
'He sent his men all over England' - William I Gloucester 1086
Hall of Famer

06 Dec 2020 12:46 pm:

GlawsyD wrote:Getting a good Brexit deal for Britain was doomed from the beginning with a Frenchman heading the EU negotiations. This afternoon's match might mean more than just the result.

Yes that was the problem with getting a Brexit deal. What happened to Boris Oven ready deal that everyone voted for him to deliver at the last election? Did it turn out to be undercooked and missing a few key ingredients?
Keyser Sose
Hall of Famer

07 Dec 2020 12:49 pm:

GlawsyD wrote:Getting a good Brexit deal for Britain was doomed from the beginning with a Frenchman heading the EU negotiations. This afternoon's match might mean more than just the result.

I was wondering when the "blame the europeans" was going to start. Stating it will fail just "because he's a Frenchman" is a very tabloid response which I suspect you mentioned slightly tongue in cheek rather than being taken seriously (which would be xenophobic).

It's interesting that the EU have to corral 27 countries to their view and have had a consistent negotiators throughout this process whereas we have had David Davis, Raab, another chap who I've forgotten, and now Frost, sorry Baron Frost.
PreviousNext

Return to Not Rugby