O/T - General Politics thread

Hall of Famer

Re: O/T - General Politics thread

04 Nov 2020 14:22 pm:

Severus wrote:What the fresh hell is going on over the pond? How can so many people look at Trump and think, yep he's my guy?

As a resident of the boarded up capital, I wish I could answer that question, sir.

It is starting to feel (and at time of writing the race is still open) that Americans just prefer their President to be a self-serving, self-aggrandising, lying, cheating, misogynistic, racist golfer.

After 4 years of this, I had hoped people would have known what he was like and react accordingly. COVID hasn't killed him (literally, or figuratively) and I am fearful that Biden won't replace him.

My fear is that if he wins, there will be no stopping him, his family and the Republican party for many election cycles to come.
Hall of Famer

04 Nov 2020 14:46 pm:

Glawfindel, do I read right that 92% of voters in DC voter Biden?!
Site Admin

04 Nov 2020 16:25 pm:

glawfindel wrote:It is starting to feel (and at time of writing the race is still open) that Americans just prefer their President to be a self-serving, self-aggrandising, lying, cheating, misogynistic, racist golfer.

Flipping golfers.. ;)

He does play a lot of it though.. At a heck of a cost to the American tax payer.. Check this out..

https://trumpgolfcount.com/
Hopefully, this text should be smaller and less prominent than the words above it...
Hall of Famer

04 Nov 2020 16:42 pm:

lovejoy wrote:Glawfindel, do I read right that 92% of voters in DC voter Biden?!

That's almost certainly true - its a very Democrat-supporting town.

But, we only get three votes in the Electoral College, so it doesn't count for as much as, say California which gets something like 55 votes.

And we get no representation in the Senate or the House of Representatives (technically not true as we do have folks there, but they are not allowed to vote on anything, so they might as well not be there)

Now, if DC became a State...

...but that ain't gonna happen while the Republicans have control of the Senate, even if VP Biden does finally win.
Hall of Famer

05 Nov 2020 11:38 am:

The polarisation between voters for Trump (rural areas) and Biden (metropolitan areas) is very stark. Many commentators mention the college/non college educated split too but not sure how accurate this is.
Hall of Famer

05 Nov 2020 14:38 pm:

I guess it kinda depends on how truthful folks are in exit polls; though some information (like the voter register and which party, if any, you declared for on registering) is public information here, so some of it can be derived with a reasonable degree of accuracy.

Have to say, I was not able to fathom in 2016, nor now, why any woman, person of colour, Latinx, LGBTQ, or anyone with an interest in family values (no divorcing, no paying off ladies of negotiable virtue), etc ever felt it was ok to vote for the Dotard.

But, the same could be said of other countries and their leaders, I suppose. ;)
Hero in the making

06 Nov 2020 14:10 pm:

Game over. Biden will become the 46th President of the United States.
Site Admin

06 Nov 2020 15:41 pm:

That's more than likely true, but they will have to go through all the legal shenanigans Trump throws in the way (given the supreme court is loaded in his favour) and then possibly by the time January comes, physically remove him from the white house.. could get even more embarrassing for America yet..
Hopefully, this text should be smaller and less prominent than the words above it...
Hall of Famer

06 Nov 2020 15:47 pm:

SonofPricey wrote:Game over. Biden will become the 46th President of the United States.

I fervently hope you are right, sir, but as our esteemed Admin says, it's by no means going to be clear cut for a while. I would not be surprised if the final acceptance of this by the #Dotard does not happen until after Thanksgiving, maybe even up to Christmas by the time he's run out of lines of argument to draw up legal cases (which in this layman's opinion have no basis, but there is a Trump friendly Supreme Court that things could go to).

If Biden comes out on top in the end, including recounts, in Pennsylvania, Georgia, Arizona and Nevada it will be more challenging for him to challenge (sic) but it won't stop him trying.
Site Admin

06 Nov 2020 16:20 pm:

What gets me, (and I've been watching CNN a lot, so that might explain it) is the hordes of people just hanging around, in broad daylight, with assault rifles talking about how a civil war is needed.. Scary stuff about to unfold if they're not careful..

If there weren't innocent, decent people involved, I might be inclined to say sod it, and let them spray lead at each other, thin out the morons a bit.. It's almost as if the UN needs to step in and keep decent folk safe from this nonsense..
PreviousNext

Return to Not Rugby