O/T - General Politics thread

Hall of Famer

O/T - General Politics thread

06 Dec 2019 08:23 am:

This time next week we will wake up with a new government following the second election in under 3 years. It is expected that this election will be one which will have implications far beyond the life of the parliament.

With this in mind, I strongly feel that every voter should think very carefully before casting their vote and also make use of their vote. Turnout is not normally over 70% and therefore around a third of voters don’t have their voices heard. People fought and died for our democracy and right to vote and I ask that you bear this in mind next week.

A lot of local constituencies (local to Glos) are marginals which makes your vote even more important. I also find it useful to look at manifestos directly or using one of those websites which asks you questions and aligns you to a party. This is probably less biased than reading about it though the media or social networks who have their own (often paid for) vested interests. Start from a blank sheet of paper rather than default to voting for who you voted for last time.

If after all this you decide you don’t like any of them and don’t vote then fine as well, it’s your right not to vote, but please get there through logic rather than lethargy.

I don’t mean this post to be partisan in any direction by the way, and if you find it as such then I apologise, it is unintentional.
Last edited by lovejoy on 02 Jul 2020 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: O/T - General Election

06 Dec 2019 08:31 am:

BoJo or Steptoe...what a choice!.....We used to have leaders and statesmen....now it's just professional opportunists. I blame Lord North for losing the colonies....
I'd love to agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong....
Hall of Famer

06 Dec 2019 09:09 am:

I have never been so depressed about the future of our country and in particular the young. And this has got nothing to do with Rugby.
As Private Frazer said, "we're doomed".
Never Stay Down.
Hero in the making

06 Dec 2019 09:14 am:

The Labour Party offers hope for the future despite the hysterical demonisation from the right wing press. They offer a `1945 style manifesto to help us build out of the current mess. Brexit is a side issue- as important as it is.
West is best
Hero in the making

06 Dec 2019 09:27 am:

I have always voted (I'm 71). This time I will make the effort to get to the polling station but will deliberately spoil my ballot paper. If I still lived in Scotland, I'd be voting SNP. Got to get away from that useless bunch in Westminster.
‘Politicians and diapers must be changed often and for the same reason.’ Mark Twain.
Hall of Famer

06 Dec 2019 09:51 am:

RossM wrote:I have always voted (I'm 71). This time I will make the effort to get to the polling station but will deliberately spoil my ballot paper. If I still lived in Scotland, I'd be voting SNP. Got to get away from that useless bunch in Westminster.

To be fair RossM, I wouldnt put too much faith in the Sturgeon creature either ...
The only problem with doing nothing is not knowing when you have finished.
Hall of Famer

06 Dec 2019 09:56 am:

The whole thing is a shambles. You have a Mop-haired idiot in one corner, a Marxist racist in another, a woman who no one knows who she is (or cares) in another, then you have the poisoned Scot in another with the minority parties stuck in the middle. Get rid of them all and start again I say!!!
If the world was a really rational place, it would be men that would ride side saddle
Hall of Famer

06 Dec 2019 09:59 am:

"Start from a blank sheet of paper rather than default to voting for who you voted for last time."

Q1 (and the clincher) What will you do for Gloucester Rugby?
Hall of Famer

06 Dec 2019 10:02 am:

Vote early, vote often!

06 Dec 2019 10:04 am:

I was rather assuming someone would be able to set it up as usual so that SW/ Glos win the poll ? Which of our boys to win !!!
Next

Return to Not Rugby